Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

***matching heads with cabs***

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stompfrog, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Hello,

I have been cruising through the head / cab ohms debates and think i understand but not completely sure.

I have a 600 watt Warwick Valve Head (QUAD VI) which is rated at 4 ohms. I am thinking of getting a W-115pro cabinet which is 400 watts and 8 ohms. I understand that as 8>4 it wont damage the head but will it damage the cab if turned up?

secondly, if using a 8 ohm cab on a 4 ohm head will the 600 watt head only output 300 watts of power?

thank you, hope this is clear, chris

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Looks like you understand to me. Your head may not be exactly 300 watts@8 ohms, you can check the specs for that.

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Actually the 8 ohm output on that amp should be close to 400 watts (2/3's of 600 watt is 396 watts). There is not problem with hooking an 8 ohm cab to a head that is rated at 4 ohms cause it also has an 8 ohm rating, you are just splitting the ohms in half. You can always hook another 8 ohm cab up to the head and get a 4 ohm load and get your full 600 watts out of it.
    peace
    -Ben