Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mathew Garrison vid/recordings

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Mar 2, 2005.

1. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Last year, I was shown a short video of Matt Garrison playing with a fantastic female drummer (dont know her name), they were simultaneously solo'ing and it worked beautifully, somehow. Does anyone know which video this is? Or who the drummer could've been?

Also, does anyone have access to some of Garrison's recordings online? They seem to be impossible to find ! Ive spent the whole of the year being very keen to hear more from this bass player but have had a real hard time trying to do so.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    terri lynn carrington (sp?)

Herbie Hancock Future2Future Live

get it, asap - you will be happy!

:)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sounds like TLC...she's only been on the scene since she was about 14(25 years or so ago?).

Her recent 'solo' disc is pretty nice; Jimmy Haslip, Greg Osby, & Adam Rogers round out the 4-tet. Two Yellowjackets(sorta) w/ two M-Base guys.
    A few crossed rhythms grooves from Haslip & TLC do occur.
    ;)

4. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    wow, thats great, thanks guys. I'll get right onto checking this stuff out. Hope I can find it.

5. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I have that DVD and it rocks. The more hiphop version of "RockIt" on the video is the joint.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Bought it this week, only confirmed my initial idea that Garrison is a monster, digged his upright playing too.

7. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I saw Matt Garrison a few days ago, playing with Gary's Husband "Force Majeure"... he's indeed a monster player!

8. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    I downloaded 50mins of the performance on Future2Future, but it didnt contain the segment I had previously seen.

Could it be part of the dvd's special features section?

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I know you can order his live DVD from his web site and Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com) has them in stock right now. (saw them pull a bunch from the box the other day).

Matt is SCARRY good. I had a chance to meet and hang with him at the Detroit Bass Fest (as well as record his performance). Super nice guy.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I heard some stuff that was good, but nothing special a while back. But DANG! I just borrowed a live DVD on Herbie with Matt on bass. I'm planning to buy my way through his recorded history! I musta been in a mood when I heard him in the past.

Matt sure is SCARRY good!

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    James, I just clicked the link to your basses.......wow!!!
    Nice nice nice!!!!!! I love the fretless.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks! Chris makes a purdy bass for sure.

here is a hi rez (500kb) photo from that day

back on topic...

What are the top Matt CDs to get into? Like I said, I'm looking to get more familar with his playing.

13. James,

Have you checked out his new Live CD/DVD? Good stuff for sure.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks Bernie, not sure the DVD I saw was a Live Hancock show... not more then 5 years old I think. It had a mass of soloists at one point... violin and a bunch of trumpet and sax players (Becker was one... I forget the others). It was burned, not sure what the title is/was. I don't generally watch music (I don't watch TV and haven't in a decade)... I assume you mean a Garrison solo DVD, is there an audio version? I dig live recordings.

15. Yeah, it's a DVD and CD of the live performance. It's available directly through Matt's website. He'll sign it too which is a cool touch. He's a nice guy for sure.

I love live recordings too. Alot of people I've met don't though. What's wrong with them?! :p

16. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    As a sideman, I recommend Matt's playing on John McLaughlin's "The Heart of Things - Live in Paris."