Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matthew Garrison DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Papersen, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I`ve just received yesterday Matt Garrison live DVD. It contains mostly tunes from his first album and some live jams.
    It hasn`t a really a "live" feel to me since it`s filmed in a studio with all the musicians. Although the mix is not superb, it`s great to see Matt playing, mainly for those like me who never had the chance to watch him playing.

I`ve personally always loved his compositions. His concept of solo albums is very refreshing. He`s not a "here goes my chops" kinda guy (and he`s got great chops indeed) and is mainly focused on the compositional side of tunes, with an eclectic, jazzy vibe.

Something that really intrigued me was his RH technique. I knew he had a 4 finger approach, curling his finger under the strings. It`s obviously very effective and some of his fast runs demand such a technique for sure.

Good chance to see a great bassist in an intimate setting, with less then average production.

BTW, can somebody explain me howe do with those 3 contiguous soapboars work in his Fodera Sig Model ?

2. I may be mistaken but I think Matt uses a 'ramp' between his pickups a la Gary Willis - it's a finger picking thing.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I was there. A very cool time, despite the blizzard that had gone on the day before.

It is a normal Fodera Imperial with a "Willis Ramp" between the Pickups.

4. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    I have taken a few lessons with Matt and I have seen the fodera up close its not a willis ramp it is more like a dummie pick up in between the 2 standard pick ups

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have played both basses several times. It is a willis ramp between the p'ups. That is where he got the idea as well. The material does not matter, it is the function of the ramp that matters.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    +1

It sure looked like a ramp when I played it. It's there as a governor, keeping one from digging in too far. Playing over the pickup accomplishes the same thing (depending on how high you have your pickup set).

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Did you ask Matt what it was? Did he say it was a dummy pickup?

:)

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I played both of Matt's basses and he just said it was the Willis Ramp idea. I am not sure of the material, but I don't remember him saying it was a dummy pick-up. It was more like a plastic-ish feeling material.

On an interesting note, fhere is a new Fodera that a friend of mine has that has the ramp as one big piece functioning both as ramp and pick-up cover.

I'll ask Matt about the ramp next time I talk to him.

9. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    I didn’t mean to get anyone’s panties in a bunch. It just did not have the same shape or texture as the Willis ramp it looked to be another pickup cover call it what you will. Dummy pickup ramp what ever it just arguing Semantics

:eyebrow:

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Where does one purchase this mysterious DVD with the ever so elusive pickup ramp dummy thingy?

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A Willis ramp has nothing to do with texture and it doesn't have to be curved like the one on his Ibanez. His personal ramp is curved because his Bartolini pickups have the same radius.

A Willis ramp is something on the playing area of the body of a bass that has the same height as the pickup(s). The object is to "govern" your playing by giving the same effect as playing over the pickup wherever you play (over the ramp).

A Dummy pickup vs. block of wood(/plastic/whatever) is not semantics.

Nobody's panties are in a bunch... except maybe yours;)
    Just trying to be accurate. Is that so wrong?

:eyebrow:

:hyper:

No hard feelings, okay?

http://www.talkbass.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1009&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i will also say its a ramp. i want to make one for my warwick.

13. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    Jesus Christ , relax does it really matter?

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    read my signature

15. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Who's panties are in a bunch? Who's on third?
    :p

It's just a bass....... :)

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Unbunch those panties and the crying will most likely cease;)

HTH

17. Well...back to our program formerly in progess...

This DVD/CD combo is well worth buying! The live performance is a fair bit better than home movie quality-clear with good enough sound. With an accompanying CD the price is a good deal.

I got mine from www.audiophileimports.com with fast...py from Matt's site [url]www.garrisonjazz.com but I couldn't wait for the longer shipping time compared with audiophile...after listening to Matt's first CD for 4 years daily, I HAD to have his new project NOW!

I had a lesson with Matt also. An experience I'll always treasure. I remember his ramp as being just a solid block of wood-taped to the body with carpet tape-but it has been 3 years...so I'm not absolutely positive...

Anyhoo, if you'd like to get a real clear idea of how Matt does that very original/innovative thing he does, this DVD is indespensible! Support the guy so he can afford to continue giving us great music and awesome technique expansion/possibilities for our favorite instrument! He's one of the nicest guys imaginable to boot!

Jim T.

18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    What original thing are you speaking of? I have the video and I guess I must have missed it.