Matthew Garrison - Herbie Hancock

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Has anyone heard this guy play bass?? He is a MONSTER!!! 34 years old I think. This is the first I've heard of him.

If you guys/gals have a chance, go to your local library and see if they have "Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future" DVD.. Matt is play on it.. VERY VERY tasty lines!

Looks like he plays Epiphani Cabs and Fodera.. I may be wrong, but it sounds like a 5 string tuned with a high C instead of a low B..

Edit: If you watch this video, pay attention to Terri Lyne Carrington (Drummer). I think she use to play drums for the Arsenio (spelling) show.. She is an ok drummer, some of her fills are a bit stale and off.. But the thing that go to me the most is no eye contact with the bass player, even though he'll be looking straight at her.. Plus, her disposition just seems like she doesnt even want to be there.. I mean, she just like takes off as soon as the gig is done.. You are playing with Herbie Hancock for christ's sake!!
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    yep all correct^

killer player... great DVD
  3. Oh, sorry guys.. Im still a newb to the site.. I was so impressed with him, I thought I would post it again :)
  4. Yeah, Matt is definitely well known around here.

Welcome to TB fellow Hoosier! :p
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK

She is one of the best drummers in the business today. Her playing on this DVD is spot-on.

Here's what other Talkbassers think of her:
  6. Maybe I came off the wrong way.. She is a good drummer.. but her excitement level just wasnt there, for me atleast.

Im not expecting her to get up and do a flamenco dance, but she was just like "ho-hum".. Very solid, but I didnt think she was too excited to be there.

Like I said, it just might be her disposition.. I dunno
  7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    i'd say more focused then excited...

and, agreed dead on playing!

FYI- Matt might be trying to look at her feet... not her eyes...
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  9. yea this dude rocks. my schools pep band plays "chameleon" all the time. its awesome to play, cause i get a solo. ;)

plus its so fownkay.
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    TLC and matt play great together....she is in the pocket - BIG TIME