Max number of cabs connected to head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crimax, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Crimax

Crimax

Nov 15, 2015
    MIlan, Italy
    Hi everybody,
    I have a mesa boogie subway d800, and several cabs, eden 115, eden ex112, a pair of ampeg svt 210 av, and i was wondering if i could connect the pair of ampeg AND the eden 115 (all 8 ohm each) with the d800.
    I know it could be a stupid question, and i beg your pardon, but i found nothing about it on the web and i haven't the skills to resolve it by myself, so i ask if someone can help me.
    Thank in advance

2. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    You may connect as many as you wish, as long as the amp can handle the impedance of such combination. You'll need to get creative with linking the cabs in series/parallel. I can't say for sure, but such setup would be easier on the cabs as the load would be distributed more or less evenly throughout all the speakers. Also watch out for Matching Drivers Mafia!

BurnOut and SteveCS like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  4. Crimax

Crimax

Nov 15, 2015
    MIlan, Italy
    Thank you, i would connect the cabs this way: the eden directly to the head, ampeg 1 directly to the head and ampeg 2 to the ampeg 1.

This way the impedance should be 8x8x8/8+8+8=512/24=21,3 ohm?

I think my amp can handle 8,4 and 2 ohm, don't know if can handle more than 8.

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    So yes, the 2 x 210 and single 15 in parallel would be a 2.67Ohm load. Happy days! But like @Flippy noted, beware the mixed driver police. Quick, Run! I can hear them coming down the street... Nee-naw nee-naw...

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Personally, I would just use the two 2x10s in a vertical stack and call it a day. Just because you also have other cabs doesn't mean you have to use them.

johnpbass, alesreaper9, MVE and 4 others like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    IF all 3 cabs are 8 ohm, you can connect them all. That gives you a 2.6 ohm load. Make sure to switch the amp to 2 ohm mode on the back.

You can even connect all 4 as long as they are 8 ohm, you'd have a 2 ohm load then.

This does not mean you SHOULD, but you CAN :)

8. Crimax

Crimax

Nov 15, 2015
    MIlan, Italy
    I'll watch out the mafia!!:smug::smug:

I don't think i'm going to use all these cabs, at the moment i am satisfied with the couple of ampeg or the edens, but it was just curiosity about what happen if i link the three cabs...and since i don't know much about amps and cabs i was afraid to do it by myself.

Anyway i think the right calculation would be 8x4 (meaning the two 8 ohm cabs in parallel will be 4 ohm to the head)/ 8+4=2.6 correct?

9. Here is an on line speaker impedance calculator you can use to calculate the total impedance of speakers in various series, parallel, and series/parallel combinations.

Shavano Music Online - Speaker Wiring; Impedance Calculator

See the other three links found at the bottom of the page to find more information regarding the important consideration of how individual speakers dissipate power when wired in combination with other speakers.

12BitSlab, Nunovsky, Giffro and 4 others like this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Two 8 ohm cabs is 4 ohm
    Three 8 ohm cabs is 2.6 ohm
    Four 8 ohm cabs is 2 ohm

11. Crimax

Crimax

Nov 15, 2015
    MIlan, Italy
    Thanks everybody, once again this forum if full of great people!

agedhorse likes this.
  12. " We were so busy asking if we can do something, that we forgot to ask if we should"

13. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Unmatched cabinets will give you mixed results. If the power isn't evenly distributed amongst the divers, you risk blowing one as it may be working harder than the rest.

14. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Wouldn't the same speaker have much more work to do when it was the only thing connected to the amp vs when supported by many other speakers?

agedhorse likes this.
  15. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The issue arises when you can't hear the weakest speaker struggle because it is covered up by the others.

If it was struggling all by itself, you should have ample time to notice and change the parameters that you are driving it with.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If all of the cabinets are 8Ω then you just divide 8 by the number of cabinets. Therefore 8/3 is 2.67Ω.

Same thing applies for 4Ω.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    with a device like this you can run a lot of cabs

7127rYtVuFL._SY355_.jpg

18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

OP won't need to serialize his connection with the D800.

agedhorse likes this.
  19. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I get this, but....

I have a 210AV stack, and I like it, but it could use more booty. If the Mesa cab is eq'd for deep low end, they could all compliment each other really nicely. But to GET those lows out of the EQ at high volume, I'd be worried about blowing the speakers in the 210AVs. I get worried about mine sometimes when I open up my TH500, much less the D800. But they sound SO nice when you're pushing those speakers hard.

20. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Yeah, it is all about the math. I use a Mesa Subway D-800 and own three 1x12 8ohm cabs. Depends on the gig, i will use only one, two, or all three. I just have to remember to change the switch ohm selection to the 2ohm setting on the amp when using three cabs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021