"McCartney killed in a car crash...in 1966" - ***??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by volker, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone!

Last night I found an article going on about Paul McCartney actually being killed in a car accident in 1966 and being replaced by a winner of a Beatles look-alike contest! The article also says that "From '66 on, every Beatles album had clues and references to Paul's demise, in the cover art and in the lyrics", followed by some examples. There's even a weblink on this "story"!

I personally think this is a whole load of bollocks. What about you guys?
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This is one of the oldest rumors in rock history.

It probably IS bollocks, But! consider the following:

1)Cover of Sgt. Peppers:
    -Hold a mirror up to the drum with the "Lonely Hearts" and you'll see "Hearts" reads "He Die" !!
    -On the back cover Paul has a patch on his suit that says O.P.D. i.e., 'Officially Pronounced Dead'!!

2)Cover of Abbey Road:
    -Consider the order the Beatles are walking in. First, John who is dressed in white (i.e., the Minister) then Ringo, who is the Undertaker. Paul has bare feet, and George is dressed in workers stuff (i.e., the Gravedigger)
    -The license plate of the Beetle in the background reads: 28IF; Paul would have been 28 IF! he had survived that horrendous car crash.

-At the end of "Strawberry Fields" they say "I Bury Paul".
    -One of the songs on Sgt. Peppers makes mention of a death in the "House of Paul".
    -"Revolution 9" played backwards says "Turn me on Deadman"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Not a third time, please ...
  4. Not to mention Paul being out of step with the other three on the cover of Abbey Road. I dunno. I met Paul in New Orleans a couple years ago. Sure looked like him anyway. I was afraid to ask for ID though. Maybe it was really Jim Morrison posing as Paul. Or Elvis....cause Lord knows there are plenty of people posing as him!

5. For sure............

6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    It's pretty cool that this little prank keeps living on, and on, and on, and on.......................
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I did a presentation on this theory before, I believe that the Beatles definitely left some clues to fool people but I really don't think he died.

Also the significance behind Paul's lack of shoes in the Abbey Road cover refers to a belief in some civilization (I believe Indian, since they visited there, right. Not quite sure) where the dead are buried sans shoes. He is also holding a cigarette, which used to be called coffin nails (My Dad told me this part).

Also, on the Sgt Pepper's cover he is pictured with a hand floating above his head, a symbol similar to a halo around a dead person in this same civilization. Not to mention the left handed, guitar-shaped, yellow flower arrangement that spells, Paul?. Or the hands of the Goddess of Death (from the same civilization) in the foreground which seem to be pointing at the two forms of McCartney (Mop Top and Sgt Pepper Era).

But, how many left handed people who look exactly like him and can play bass, guitar, and piano are in the world? Good gag, but it almost certainly didn't happen.
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This used to scare the bejesus out of me and my best friend when we were kids... There was a TV or radio show aired about it and all of the clues, (don't forget Paul's black rose in the Magical Mystery album), that my sister had taped by holding a cassette recorder up to the speaker... We used to listen to that and look at all of the Beatle albums and just freak ourselves way out...

"He blew his mind out in a car" - reference that he supposedly died speeding in his beloved Astin Martin...

The whole 'Come Together' song... Man, if they could only write movies that had half the scare power that I used to conjure up from that stuff...

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    "Hair down to his knees" - could to taken to refer to the hair and nails of the dead that continue to grow after death.

Always thought that was a weak example though.
  10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Also forgot to add:

On the cover of Sgt. Pepper's the Beatles name is spelled out in red flowers with a conspicuous period at the end that looks like an 'O'.

Taken together it says Beatleso or Be-At-Leso, Leso is the town where McCartney's family is supposed to have a burial plot.
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    This is actually an Urban Legend - it's that the skin around the nails and hair recede from the areas, exposing more nail/hair and giving the appearance that they continue to grow.
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks for posting this. I get tired of being the only person who reads www.snopes.com on a regular basis--saved me a trip!

As for the "clues" the Beatles left behind, I think people see what they want to see. I have a feeling they were thinking of more important things at the time than how they were going to continue playing a game of "Where's Waldo" with their fans.

"He Die?!?" Give me a break.... :rolleyes:
  13. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Some say that's John Lennon mumbling "cranberry sauce"...
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.