Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MEC pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowEbandit, Sep 30, 2004.

1. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Hi, as I'm still on the hunt to change pickups on my custom 5, I came across the Incubus "morning view sessions DVD" and heard Dirk's tone on the song "new skin" (Warwick bass). WOW!! That's some killer tone!! I'm sure alot of it was all the gear he uses but I'm not familiar with Warwicks and I do know that they come with MEC pickups. The question: Are these pickups any or very good to replace in my Schecter?
    Thanks!!

2. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I too have a Warwick Streamer LX5 with Mecs in it and I love them. I have it strung with TI-flats and use it in my college big band. However I do know that Dirk Lance uses Basslines pickups in his Warwicks...so a set of those may be a better choice for you. Goodluck

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My thumb has MEC's... They sound a little fake.. I was hoping to talk to Nino about putting some 1/4 pounders in there and a new preamp in the semi-near future.

4. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi Lowbandit,

I'm a HUGE fan of Dirk Lance and I have been toying with putting Seymour Duncan Basslines in my Streamer SII as that is what he used on Morning View. Specifically two SD AJB-5B active pickups and the SD ToneCircuits STC-3M4 preamp.

You're right that so much of his tone comes from the huge Eden system he uses but as others here have said, the MEC's are a little brittle at the top end and if you reduce the treble and mids to compensate it sounds a little like someone threw a blanket over your rig. The warmth in them seems very artificial.

I can get a tone that I'm happy with but it doesn't allow for much in the way of adjustment or variation. I'm pretty much stuck with the one sound. No doubt it works well for a lot of people and I have to say that the MEC's have a nice strong output signal but I think they're a little sterile for my tastes.

Hope this helps and let us know if you go with the Basslines....

5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey LowEbandit, I think the MEC pickups are fine pickups, they do have a good output but through a flexible amp you can get warmer tones. I think the MEC preamp actually doesn't do the pickups justice. The MEC preamp, IMHO, masks the pickups a bit.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    One thing to consider about Alex's sound, although defintley influenced by the Warwick/MEC sound, is that he uses a bunch of effects and compression etc. to get the sound that you hear, especially on the SCIENCE album. When he came to my area, we talked shop, and he more or less turned me on to the Sansamp overdrive that he was using. That's how he gets that overdriven sound along with some fuzz thrown in there from time to time. So, I don't think that you can attribute his sound completely on the the Warwick/MEC vibe, but it certainly has a characteristic sound though.

7. on the topic of MEC pickups, does anyone know if the MEC 6-string bass soapbars are any good? Im hopefully going to be getting a Spector Legend 6 sometime this fall, and Ive generally heard that replacing the EMG-HZs is a good idea, and I haven't really heard anyone bashin' on MECs, so I was wondering if itd be worth it. and does anyone know where the F :eek: :eek: :eek: I can get them and how much theyll cost? and would replacing the EMG preamp/electronics be a good idea too?

8. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Hello, I can't comment about how good the MEC soapbars are since I have not had experience with them, but my guess is they should be tooooooo expensive. As for where you can get them, you probably can just go directly through Dana B Goods...or give Bass Central a call. I went through them when I wanted to replace the plastic nut with the brass nut on my Warwick and Bass Central had the nut drop shipped to my house directly from DBG. Hope that helps at least a little, goodluck!

Bill

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, there are a lot of people out there that dislike Warwicks because of the pickups and electronics as a whole, so that may tell you something. If you like the brittle high end on Warwicks, then that may be a p-up for you. Personally I would yupgrade to a nicer EMG p-up if I were you.

10. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx

11. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    OK he's using the AJB2-5 series pickups that are smaller than the soapbars that I need. If I REALLY wanted to get those pickups would it be a total pain in the ass to modify the bass so those could fit or should I stick with the soapbar models?
    Thanks!!
    LEB

12. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Bump. Maybe they have pickup covers for the blade type pickups?
    Anyway I'm going for those Basslines soapbars....
    Thanks!!