Merlo Podlewski - Jack Johnson's bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dangnewt, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I have been listening to In Between Dreams a lot and really appreciate his tone and simple well-executed lines. Anyone have any more information on him or his gear. There was not much on the Jack Johnson websites except I could see a Violin-style bass in some of the concert pictures but couldn't read the headstock (didn't appear to be Hofner, tho).

I'm not sure if he used that on In Between Dreams - the tone was pretty fat and low.
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah in between dreams sounds like it was recorded with flats to me, maybe on a j-style?
  3. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Thanks, J-bass is what I was thinking, but I was not really trusting my ears enough.
  4. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    On IBD he did use the violin bass. Not sure what kind it is either. But all the other records or anything else you hear was on a P-Bass with flats or a Martin acoustic. I love his lines. Theres an unreleased version of Middle Man from Brushfire Fairytales where he plays a relatively busy line. Its on an upright to...maybe. Could just be the acoustic. But I love his aproach to bass. It's perfect for Jack's style and it accents the singing wonderfully.
  5. dejohan

Mar 12, 2009

“Merlo is playing through a vintage B-15, which has a Beta 52 on it. He played a variety of basses, including this Epiphone Jack Casady bass. He has his own technique of playing with his fingers. He also used a Guild teardrop Vox-style bass. Direct box was a Little Labs Multi Z and an Avalon U5 DI."

I've also seen him playing with an Epiphone Viola and an Epiphone B0

I have never ever seen him playing with a Jazz bass.
  6. acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I saw him playing a jazz bass in Myrtle Beach, when JJ was opening for Ben Harper. This was maybe 7 or 8 years ago.
  7. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Thats really cool. I love the guys music, even if it is a little poppy. Its just feel-good music. Its also comforting to know that everythings recorded in an intimate setting like that, and that its not just being churned out by a major company.

Also, That studio of his has quite the collection of Piano's and small combo amps.
  8. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    If that is JJ's studio, I think it is solar and/or wind powered as well.

Any of those basses can deliver that mellow tone that fit so well with JJ's songs.
  9. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    i was wondering the same thing i found this thread then i found the answer.

P Bass w flats

10. funkeymunkey'96

Jun 27, 2010
    i saw him at the eden project in cornwall using what looked like a hofner club bass
    he also had a little bit of rap improv halfway through a song!