1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa 400+ Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan T., Aug 8, 2005.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    am I fighting a losing battle trying to get a good clean non-distorted sound out of this thing with my MM Stingray? Or is there a piece of the puzzle I'm missing here.?

I'm playing a Stingray, through the Mesa, into an Ampeg 810.
    It seems that the only way I can get a decent amount of volume out of this amp is when i crank my gain way up and all I'm left with is a really distorted sound. I know I'm getting alot of that from my bass, but it feels like alot of the distortion I'm getting is coming out of the amp. Anyone got any good suggestions as far my settings go to tame the distortion down a bit?

I've searched some of the old threads on the 400+ and they aren't giving me the solutions I'm looknig for, that's why I pose this question to this forum now. Thanks for any help.

Dan T.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    interesting. i cant get mine loud enough to distort. well, i should say, it has to be waaaaayyyyy loud before it distorts.

try using the other input. input 1 is made for active basses, so it has a higher head room. input 2 is made for passive bassess. im pretty sure you can use either with either.

i use 2 with a passive bass because its the louder of the two inputs.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Do you need a retube? My Mesa gets VERY loud without distorting.

4. dont you want distortion? just swap 400+'s , problem solved :smug:

(meant to quote shawn)

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hahaha ill pass on that.

6. MMs can be pretty hot. Try input 1 as suggested above and check how you have it EQ'd? Are you sucking out all the mids so the volume/gain has to be maxed to be heard?

I run the gain ~4 with a hot Spector and the thing cranks with volume at 3-4. It'll get a nice warm distortion after awhile with the volume at 5 that I find very pleasing. It's also insanely loud.

What head and/or cab were you using before? I have the same setup (400+/Ampeg 810) and I also use it the 400+ with Eden D410XLTs. The Eden cabs are much louder then the SVT 810. If you are used to a more effcient type cab the 810 is not going to sound as loud.

I'm puzzeled by this. Why are you getting distortion from your bass? Maybe at the end of the day that's the problem.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    maybe change batteries on the music mans eq

8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Possibly the battery in your Stingray is running low? Or maybe your tubes are getting near the end?

9. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    hmm, thanks for the suggestions everybody, i did actually used to play through 2 eden 4x10xlt's but got rid of one of them to put the money into the Ampeg 810, at some point I'm sure I'll get another one again to match it or possibly a 2x10xlt, the only thing my SVT4 Pro sounded good through was those cabs. Actually I jsut bought a Mesa 2x15 Diesel cab that I'm really anxious to plug into tonight, I'm curious to see how that cab handles that head.

I do think my bass is pretty messed up right now, I was playing in two different bands with two different low tunings and it's in desperate need of a setup, I think alot of the grindy, ****ty sound I'm getting out of the bass will go away once I do that.

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Has the amp been checked out by a competant tech? It should be very difficult to get it to distort, as mentioned.

11. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    yeah I definitely just popped a new battery in. I'm really puzzled because my amp is brand new, is there a possiblilty of the tubes being shoddy right outof the gate?

12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just out of curiousity, why did you give up the 2 Eden 4x10's for an Ampeg 8x10"? I was looking into getting the Eden XLT. And I own an 8x10 ampeg.

13. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    i'm starting to think i may have a problem....

14. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I actually still own one of my Eden's. I just wanted to try something different all around. A little bigger, what I figured would be a deeper sound. The Eden's while they are awesome, I always feel that they are really bright sounding cabs and I was looking for a deeper sound. Plus I never owned an 810 before so I was interested in it, every one I ever played on before owning mine I liked. I'd still totally reccommend getting Eden's they are awesome, like I was saying earlier I'll probly get back to playing on 2 Eden 4x10's before too long, haha.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    play through the other input. 5 bucks says thats your beef.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I play through both inputs, one at 3 the other around 4 or 5. I have my master set at between 4-6, and eq. is boosted a bit on the low, flat on the mid and cut a bit on the highs, and I've never heard even the hint of distortion.

You've got a problem somewhere in your signal chain, and I'd start taking your rig apart piece by piece to find it. Try the amp/cab with a different bass. Try your bass with a different amp/cab. Try your head with a few other cabs, try different cords and cables. Make sure you're running your head with the fan on high with plenty of ventilation.

While I don't think Mesa tubes are great, I also don't think they'd ship any DOA.