Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by permadave, Feb 28, 2006.

1. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    saw this suggestion posted online somewhere..

Any idea how to use both channels at once? Is there some kind of aftermarket A/B blend switch you would have to have?

2. I believe that you can buy a simple splitter at a Radio Shack. That is probably the cheapest option if you don't need to switch back and forth between the channels.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep..just use a Y cable. Thats what I did.

4. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    Does that jumper the channels to be both active?

Or can you run both inputs and run a AB/Y box and seperate them out?

5. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    So it will run both preamps simultaneously without any issue?

Does it sound killer?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep..both channels are active. It sounds GREAT! It's absolutely the best sound you can get out of a Mesa 400+.

7. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sweet, thanks! I will be trying that out tonight at practice :bassist:

8. You could run an aby box or you could just turn the gain down on whatever channel you did not want to use.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I'm sure you could do this too, but I didn't find any need to switch channels. To me, the absolute best sound was using both at once. Thick syrupy rock and roll tone!

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY

I bought a Y cable to use with mine and it did sound great, but every time I made the slightest movement with the cord, it would POP!!!! very loud. Thought I was gonna blow my new Bergie.

Do you think that maybe the Y cable had a short or something, because I would love to run it like that, but I did not have a good experience.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yep..either a bad cable or a bad input jack.

12. the best thing i ever did with my Sansamp RBI/Mesa 400+ rig was run a patch lead from the Sansamp Output to Channel 1 and a lead from the Unaffected Output to Channel 2. Then I can get the perfect blend of Sansamp tone and clean tone direct from the Mesa channel knobs. Once you can get the dials up around 4 it's house-shaking stuff.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    +1

14. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Both channels Into a nv-610.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I like to run my ch 2 on bright while having ch 1 on normal. Sounds awesome!