Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Ive been looking into Mesa Bass amps for a while and would like some more inputon people that have played the others that im thinking of. I have played the M-Pulse 600 but am also looking at the Basis 2000 and the Big Block 750. I am looking for a good rock amp (style of music is like Alter Bridge/Creed/Submersed) that would have a good tone for my type of music. I really like what i read about the discounted Basis 2000 and its many features and dual preamps, but the simpleness of the BB would be awesome as well. However the Big Block 750 is a new model so im assuming that should be better beacause i cant imagine how they could make a new one with less quality than a discountinued model. From playing the 600 i didnt really know how to describe it until i read someone else talking about it and i totaly agreed. It does seem to have a "hi-fi" type sound. Almost a tube emulation or something. I want a bass amp with some great low end, that will sound good for rock and i want to know what you guys think would sound best with my type of music etc.
    Thanks in advance.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I got a chance to try out both the 600 and the 750 recently, and in the end I ended up ordering the 600 (from a fellow TB'er no less).

The 750's tone is definitely aggressive, and very "rock 'n roll". It doesn't sound quite as hi-fi as the 600, but to my ears it was definitely more hi-fi than the M2000 or the 400+. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the fact that its 750 watt power rating was only for a 2 ohm load. I've yet to see an official listing of its power rating at 4 ohms, but have been told by others on this forum that its around 500 watts @ 4 ohms. Aside from its rather odd power rating, I really liked it. The overdrive channel could add some nice grind in just the right spot when needed, but I honestly did appreciate the footswitchable functions on the 600.

3. toddmcm

toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Well, sound is such a personal thing. BUT, the fact that you like Mesa says a lot. The Mpulse line along with the bigblock are "hybrid" amps. Tube pre's with solid state power amps, which give that sound you describe. (I use a walkabout and it gives the same kind of sound)

BUT, if you've never heard a Bass 400+ cranked up through an 8x10 or my personal fave, the Powerhouse 1000, then do yourself a favor and find one to play. It's just plain inspiring.

The best sound I've ever heard from a bass came from a 400+ and a single powerhouse 1000 (to be fair, probably a few grand worth of rack stuff in that setup as well) but man it sounded so good, and low end... man no joke it made me have to take a crap. It's also what inspired me to take a better look at Mesa stuff (which I always just blew off because of price)... I don't think I'll ever own anything BUT Mesa now.

For serious rock, those things are as good as it gets. Be prepared to bust out the wallet though, which is a given on any Mesa gear.

Good Luck

4. Ok, well i have never really thought of the 400+ at all, but since you brought it up is that good rock agressive sounding amp? I really like the overdrive channel on the BB so thats deffinitiy a plus, but which one between those two would be a better sounding amp. I obviously want the Powerhouse 1000 cab too, for either of them but which one would you guys suggest. I have not got to play a BB as i said, and when i tried our stores 600 their 400+ wasnt working for some reason. I would like to try them, but i dont know where i can find a BB to try out. Thanks so much for both of your guys' input!

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Forget about the 400+ unless you have located one at a dealer or you are getting one used. I tried to buy one last year. They don't just take one off the shelf and send it to you. First they have to decide if and when they will build one for you. They can't tell you how long you will have to wait and for sure it will be a few months. Then while you are waiting you have to call them up regularly and beg them for your amp. Eventually the area sales rep will refuse to take your calls. I finally gave up and bought an Ampeg SVT-CL.

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    If Mesa is your bag try to find a 400+ to play through. I played one through my Ampeg 8-10 and is was dark, face melting rock tone all the way. IMHO my SVT-CL is a "warmer" sound but again that is just my ears.

7. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I purchased my Big Block 750 almost six months ago now and everytime I show up to practice I love the amp more and more. I worked in a music store up until last week, for almost 5yrs as the bass guy so I've managed to play alot of amps and buy alot of them. I play music in the rock genre i.e Sevendust, Alterbridge (I'm friends with Myles) Big Wreck etc. I really like the aggressiveness of the Big Block and the simplicity. The M-Pulse heads are great but it just took way to long to dial in and to be honest the number of M-Pulse heads that had to be sent back in for warranty within the first couple of months was shocking. The Big Block is super phat and warm, stealthy looking, and Dual Speakon outs rule. I would have to say go for the Big Block if you like simplicity and that huge wall of bass sound with no gimics. Let me know if you have any other questions about the Big Block or other amps for that matter I love being honest with fellow bassist and trying to help out anyway possible.

8. toddmcm

toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    4 of em on the shelf at GC right now.. ON SALE

9. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Forget GC, shop at a local Mesa Dealer

10. You guys are super helpful! Thanks alot, so where can i try out a BB or 400+. The local GCs dont have any BBs and the 400+ at one of them doesnt work haha. Guess kind of a dumb question being not many people here are from MN.
    Thanks for the input thought guys!

11. toddmcm

toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Forget GC?

They have almost the entire Mesa Line in stock ready to go- and it's the ONE place that actually discounts the stuff..... sooooo, ya, o.k. forget GC, go spend twenty percent more to wait 6-12 weeks for what's in stock down the street.

Edit: If you go to your local GC they will have one sent from another location. Money Talks and bull**** walks.

12. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I don't care about waiting a couple extra weeks to have a store that actually follows manufactures rules and keeps the quality products up. I support local business were the people actually care about the customers, sorry I don't shop at Walmart.

13. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    How do I start a NEW thread?

14. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    t-Bassist:

You really owe it to yourself to consider Eden amplification, if you are seriously considering Mesa. Boogies definately sound great. I recently A-B-C compared a G-K 1001, a Mesa mPulse 600 to my Eden Time Traveler for several weeks. I kept my Eden and sent the Gallien and the Boogie back to GC.

Just my 2 cents :p

Mark

ps: This month's Bass Player mag has a review of the Big Block in it. Also, I thought the Mesa mPulse 600 sounded GREAT. :)

deManBass

MAKE MINE EDEN :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

15. mesa amps are not "discounted" anywhere..the price of a NEW mesa amp is the same everywhere in the country(U.S.),the only difference is the sales tax you pay..they do this so places like GC(or any other mega store) can not price gouge..a few years back my guit. player was at the mesa showroom in hollywood,I get a phone call from him asking what I paid for my rr ph1000,because he thought he could save me some money..so I told him(and was explaining the pricing system to him),and he was talking to the clerk at the same time...and guess what? the price was the same(after sales tax I think it was more than I paid here in N.Y.state)..the clerk at the store backed up everything I said to him..so if anyone at GC tries to tell you that they have the "lowest prices on new mesa gear" they are full of it.OTOH, the used market is a whole different ballgame..my advice is to go to a AUTHORIZED MESA DEALER...

16. What kind of tone do you go for with your Eden amplification? Would it be a good rock tone? I really want to go somewhere with a lot of different bass amps but the best we have in the entire state of MN is two Guitar Centers. Thanks for all the help again!

17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I love my M-Pulse 600...it's just an INCREDIBLE amp. I love Mesa stuff...infact I'm currently wearing my "Meas Boogie | The Spirit of Art in Technology" hoodie :).

Ya, get a M-Pulse 600 and commence the :bassist:

18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    What type of bass and cabs do you use? 5 string bass? what style of music? Just curious, but have you ever played or heard an ashdown ABM500 EVO? That is what I have and I like it a lot, but am always in search of something that might blow me away. Similar power ratings. thanks for the vote on behalf of the mPulse 600. I really want to check one out.

19. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Eden Amps are made in MN! Great tone knows no boundries. Check out eden-electronics.com, there are probably plenty of rockers using Edens, so hit the forum page at that site. Eden covers lots of territory all the way up to a all tube monster amp.
    Mark

deManBass

20. I bought a 400+ from GC today, and it was discounted to $900 from $15something. The guy there told me that Mesa actually had to go into their computer system and change the prices, because they couldn't do it. The only discounted 2 400+'s, and that was it, and they only did it because they were the last two, and had been floor models.

Mesa also will not let dealers carry their product if they are within a certian ammount of miles of another Mesa retailer.

joe