1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Carbine M6 - Losing output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaboda, Oct 31, 2010.

1. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    Anyone here have Carbine M6s, and have issue with the output just cutting out?? Its been cool for me now for quite a few gigs, and now last night it decided to cut out for no reason and I had to go to my backup to get through the night....

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Check the in/out jacks, they may be dirty, (effects send/return), otherwise, warranty?

3. Were you using different speakers last night??

4. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Mesa should be embarrassed... the tone is awesome, but it's not worth the trouble. This board is filled with Carbine complaints.

I had two Carbines do this due to overheating... I got a Titan thinking that I wouldn't be working it as hard... But when I did work, it cut out too.

I should have kept my big block 750. It never did this. It was a little weak at 4 ohms though...
    Oh BTW... The BB750 has two fans.

5. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    So there is known issues with the Carbine Cutting out for no reason? the amp stayed on, but just would cut out, and have no sound at all... I switched to by backup (a behringer, last night no less) and it ran all night.

6. ...happened to me last night; fourth song of the night. The dance floor was bumping; reggae bass lines throbbing... and then suddenly nothing (coming out of my rig at least).

Embarrassing.

Did an idiot check, cords and fuse, but nothing could bring it back to life. Just checked again and still nothing.

Planning a trip to Mesa tomorrow.

7. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Hey!...same problem here in EU!...I found this is low voltage problem. My Fathom is "ON" but no sound. I had this issue 3 times this summer...It happend usualy on outside gigs when sound guys use just one long power cord to feed PA, lights and stage or it can happend in old buildings or just on places with "bad power"...I had also 4 or 5 times this year problem describe like: slow volume down and up...down and up....down and up...like in 20 second slowly volume down and than slowly volume up...it's realy crazy. This is when voltage is not weak enough and amp is just losing volume. I'm happy I'm not alone with this problem...If there will be no chance to fix it than best way is to use voltage stabilizer NOT just power conditioner!!! There is few expensive ones but I found some cheaper ones Proel ST1000 or Quik Lok SR1500 well they are 230V versions only I think ... I'm sure you will find some other good cheap stabilizers in US too (not just Furman).
    MESA support must help I wrote email to Mesa international support...if you find some solution pls. post it...thank you Wimpy

here is other thread about it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374022&page=2

8. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic

Attached Files:

9. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I found there is output maybe not good enough for MESA:

Maintains usable 120V (+10%/-12%) nominal output over an input range of 89 to 147V

120V-12% is 105,6V maybe it could be not enough for Mesa

10. I had a same problem, when plugged from DI out directly to PA mixer, the volume got very low. Sent it to authorized SC, they fixed it by replacing the Speakon outputs and instrument cable input. Since then this issue never happend again.

But still remains the voltage sensitivness, which means: any little undervoltage gets the bottom end thinner and thinner until getting lost..., but this is probably the issue for another thread...

11. Hello. My M6 had a bad fuse holder. When I played loud enough for long enough it would become loose then then cut out. Of course when that happened I would lose all power. A call to Mesa support resulted in a new fuse holder in the mail and it never happened again.