1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by morebass!, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Has original EVM-15L drivers in good condition. 4 ohm. 400 watts. Fully-functional. Tolex covering has a few minor tears but not bad for a 15-year old cab. Warm and full sounding with a pleasing edge. A great bass sound. I’ve used it for rock, blues, punk, classic country and it does the job. It sounds great for guitar too!

I’ve gone to a smaller vehicle and it doesn’t fit so I’m looking for something smaller. Not really interested in trades unless you have some smaller unloaded 1x15 boxes. $300 plus shipping. Local pick-up prefered

2. Is the cab actually 400 watts RMS or are the speakers 400 watts each? I'm looking at specs on those speakers and I am seeing 400 watts per speaker, but perhaps that is a different run of the EVM-15L?

3. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    :bawl:

I hate you!

I'm joking. I just reallllllly want one of these cabs. And you're really close, and the price is great. I just don't have the scratch. :crying:

4. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Good price for a slamming cab. I wish I could have justified keeping mine.

5. PM Sent.

6. Lord in heaven why isnt this cab closer to me!

7. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Regarding the wattage ratings on the drivers - These are the older 200 watt drivers. a couple years ago I considered "upgrading" them to 400 watts by having them reconed. The recone kits cost about $75 as I remember so it seemed do-able but then I researched it and there are several posts on TB that indicate the higher wattage rating doesn't really do much for the actual tone or durability of the drivers. I don't remember the specifics but I think it had to do with the drivers still farting out at about the same volume. Don't get me wrong, they can get plenty loud without farting. But they can't keep up with modern drivers that can go loud and deep. If you have PA support you won't need to push them at all. But if you have a B string and want it loud without help from a PA you'd be better off looking elsewhere. I was out most of the weekend so now have about 5 PMs to reply to now - am working on it.

8. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Looks like I killed my own thread with my last post on the EVs. Seriously, they were the best you could get 15 years ago and for the tone many of us love they still excel. They just get “that sound” naturally - lots of cut, enough heft in the right places and never shrill or brittle. The guy in Nirvana used this cab as did Flea and McCartney. Tone-wise, I prefer the EVs to my new eminence 3015s but my back just isn’t up to wrestling this cab into the back seat of my Corolla (yes it fits).

Also, at this price if this cab isn’t sold by the weekend I’m seriously considering modding it into two 1x15s for my 3015s and selling the EV drivers separately. FWIW I've seen EVM-15L drivers go for as high as $129 on Ebay.

9. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    Ouch. Please, I beg you...Don't cut the cab up. :help:

Like I said, I'm really interested, just need a little time pulling the funds together.

10. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I took the back off it and it looks like, structurally, cutting it into two 1x15 cabs would work pretty easily. That would be the easy solution for me at this point. But I'm reluctant to do that for the obvious aesthetic reasons, not to mention resale value. Also, someone once posted about the TL606/EV15 combination being "how God intended". :) I'm not sure how much God was involved but I do believe that cabinets should be designed around the speaker and doubt that's true for the great majority of mass-produced bass cabinets. The shear numbers of these cabinets still out there also attests to the quality. So someone buy this and stop my left brain from doing this injustice.

11. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Please don't cut it up. Sell it, and build what you want. Sell it on Craigslist, the Pennysaver, in the newspaper...hell, put a sign on it and stick it on your front porch...but don't cut it up.

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Someone buy this - you will be very satisfied with the :bassist: TONE :bassist: TONE :bassist: TONE :bassist: of this great sounding cabinet.

While it's true these drivers won't slam the low frequencies like some modern speakers, many people (including me) swear by the gorgeous mids that come from this package. The Mesa Diesel cabs are directly based on the TL606 design by ElectroVoice specifically for this speaker. It is a relatively small and light cabinet, especially for a 2x15, and it cuts through a mix onstage very well without muddying things up, (amp settings taken into account of course.)

I'd jump on this myself, except I already have a 1x15 and a 2x15 and I don't need another one. :D

13. IME they may not put out a lot of sub bass bass, but they do give the appearance of bass by virtue of the kind of mids they do.
    The only thing I never liked about the 2x15 was the beamy-ness of the 2x15 set up. though that can work well if you need to be locked with the drummer over a lot of other stuff. Just point and shoot!

14. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    FWIW - Good post! Couldn't have said it better myself.

This cab is sold (local CL deal):cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.