Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie M-2000 ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tried searching but couldn't come up with straight answer:

Can the M-2000 handle 2 ohms reliable?

How about 2.67 ohms? (an 8 ohm cab + 4 ohm cab, I'm correct on the ohms, right?)

Would appreciate it...thanks!

-T

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Nope.

And nope.

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Nope, that's the one thing I don't like about the M-2000.

Oh, and it doesn't have a ground lift on the DI.

two things....

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Three things. Shared gain control on the Tube Pre and the Hi-gain setting. It's hard to get a good overdrive without the Tube Pre being too loud, or getting a good clean Tube sound without the Hi-Gain being too soft.

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Drat and triple drat. Oh well. Just a wandering thought.

I do really like my newly acquired M-2000 though. I got it in an even trade with a COOL fellow TB'er for my SVT-4Pro. Great sounds all over the place...with our without spending a lot of time on it.

Yeah, I wish there were gains for each channel, but ehh, not a major issue.

Of recently I've been working at getting an overdriven but solid low-end sound. I'm getting there but the lows aren't "solid" enough. I've tried mixing in the FET channel but it just kinda gets louder. Any suggestions?

-T

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What I like to do is to use the 7 band eqs on mix mode only. I also set the high gain to kick on automatically in mix mode. I boost the mids on the 7 band on the tube side, and boost the lows a bit on the fet side. Mix to taste. Presto!

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I was considering trading/selling my SVT4Pro for one of these also awhile back. Just looking for something different to play with, as I am happy with my Ampeg, just getting bored with the same old.

Can you give quick rundown on the major differences in tone between the two, and any other pros/cons of the trade you made??

Thanks
    Ryan