Mesa Boogie M9 & M6 Carbine Settings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by L.A. BASS, Dec 29, 2011.

1. onegunguitar

onegunguitar

Jul 1, 2010
    The two outputs are NOT stereo outs. The M6 and M9 are mono output heads. True stereo heads will have two separate inputs going into 2 separate power amps.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Huge.

New heatsink, new fans, additional venting, etc. Major work.

3. With Lakland 55-02 into a Berg HS210 or 2:

Tone profile 2
    Bass 10:00
    Mid 2:00
    Treble 10:00

EQ
    Cut the lowest lows 50%
    Leave other lows at 0
    Boost low mids about 65%
    Cut high mids about 15%
    Leave treble at 0

Compressor at 9:00 and 9:00

That gets me about where I like it. Slammin'!!

Edit: picture added, the graphic EQ is just slightly different than how I normally use it. The last stage I was on actually robbed my of some lows, the bastard! One of my bandmates said it was the first time that amp ever sounded thin, so I bumped the bass up just a notch to where you see it now. It sounded incredible!

M9.jpg

4. Have to say that I could never get the M6 where I liked it when it came to the mids. The graphic EQ of the M9 was essential for me.

5. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Thanks guys for all the help.

6. L.A. BASS

L.A. BASS

Jul 30, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hey Scott McArron,
    I agree about the M6. I know that Mesa says it's the same amp. But I have gone into the Mesa Store in Hollywood and listened to the M6 and the M9 side by side and the extra headroom in the M9 definitely sounds better. Even the guys in the store agreed. The M6 sounded good, but it was a little looser sounding and more rubbery. The M9 has more speed, focus and authority.

So, the power in terms of volume is IMO not a factor between both amps, but in terms of sound and feel and natural compression from hitting the amp a little harder from all those 300 extra amazing Boggie watts, I think makes a huge difference. It's worth the extra money for what you get from the M9. And for whats out there from other American made companys or made anywhere else for that matter. It's very fairly priced...

7. Baird6869

Totally agree with you. I have recently owned an Ampeg SVT-CL, Orange, Genz Benz, Aguilar, GK, etc. and the M9 kills everything else I have owned.

Am I a total fanboy? Yup!

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  9. I never got to A/B the 2. Didn't notice a difference myself. I know my M9 does get a lot tighter than the M6 just because I can drop the sub lows with the EQ and tighten things up with the compressor real nicely. It's just phenomenal!

Funny that I'm writing this just a few minutes after posting it for sale in the classifieds. I'm going to try going light weight again with the Tecamp 1 rack unit heads. We'll see if it works out this time or not. There just always seems to be something missing with the light stuff. Maybe the Germans do it right. They're known for their engineering after all. ;) The M9 is just way more juice than I need for on stage monitoring through a little 210. The volume knob never sees anything past 8:30 or 9 o' clock and I still get complaints about volume. :rolleyes:

10. My little M9 dragon has slain all other amps by a good margin, indeed! It does just about everything well except for that authentic, slow vintage tube tone. It sounds too quick for that. But every time I hit a note it makes me smile more than any other amp I've tried no matter what genre I play.

11. L.A. BASS

L.A. BASS

Jul 30, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hey Scott McArron,
    I'm shocked... Why not keep it and get the Tecamp amp as well. At least you can make a better decession after you A-B them side by side... It's not like you can't ever re-buy the M9 I guess. You just seem to glow about the sound it has been giving you!!!

12. Yes, I've known to say a few positive things about my M9. ;P Wish it would fit in my gig bag and have an aux in with headphone jack though for my late night practices.

I'm not totally just gonna let her go until I can get a good A/B in with the Puma 500 ( that I just ordered :D ). If I can live with the tone/weight ratio then I'll make the full switch. In the past I've always ended up with heavier gear after trying lighter gear, so I am a bit wary of going this route. But I am moving to Germany soon and doubt I'll have a car until I get established there in my career and get some real savings in the bank.

Who knows what I'll end up doing. I am pretty excited to play through some German engineering though!

13. L.A. BASS

L.A. BASS

Jul 30, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Good luck... Enjoy your new journey...

14. L.A. BASS

L.A. BASS

Jul 30, 2008
    Los Angeles
    WARNING... I heard the M9 is going to have a price increase on February 1st from $1349 to $1599. So if your planning on buying one, do it very soon or it's going to cost you a little longer in the pocket!

15. Baird6869

Good news for those of us that own one, but a 15%+ increase? Seems kinda steep. $1600 for the M9 is pricy IMO!

16. Tomkiss

Tomkiss

Jun 30, 2011
    Hamilton Ontario, Canada
    Artist & Event Coordinator: Fbass
    I love my M9 Carbine. Been using it for about 10 months now and about the only thing that has been comparable to my ear is the Tecamp Black Jag 900. The Tecamp is amazing but I love my Carbine too much to make the switch. Anyways here are my settings for my 3 basses.

Number 1

Bass: Fbass BN5 (Ash body with Ebony Fingerboard, Fbass Strings)
    Gain: 10:00
    Bass: 1:00
    Mids: 10:00
    Treble: 12:00
    GEQ: Off
    Compressor: On (Threshold at 9:00, Ration at 12:00)
    Voicing: 2 (10:30 one)
    Cab: Fbass 2x12 (1300 watts at 4ohm)

Number 2

Bass: Fbass VF5 (ash body, maple fingerboard, DR Marcus Miller strings)
    Gain: 10:00
    Bass: 1:00
    Compressor: On (Threshold at 9:00, Ration at 12:00)
    Voicing: 2 or 3 (2 for slap, 3 for fingerstyle funk)

Number 3

Bass: Fbass BNF5 (Fretless with ash body, Gaboon Ebony fingerboard, LaBella Nylon tape strings)
    Gain: 11:00
    Bass: 12:00
    Compressor: On (Threshold at 9:00, Ratio at 12:00)
    Voicing: 4

My first listed bass is pretty much my standard use most of the time workhorse. I use it for rock gigs, country gigs, pop gigs and so on. If I'm feeling lazy and only take one bass on a gig this is it and with my M9 and that bass I can pretty much get whatever kind of sound I want with a flick of the voicing dial or an adjustment of my on bass EQ.

Bass 2 is my slap/funk/R+B setup (when I'm not lazy and just take one bass)

Bass 3 is my fretless setup. Jazz gigs and I use that alot for rock ballads when I'm not lazy and drag it out to rock gigs :).

I played for about a year and a half using a Mesa 2x12 powerhouse cab and I really enjoyed it. My only thought for an upgrade was possibly a Bergantino 2x12 but I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on it. Last month I played into the new Fbass 2x10 cab and then the 2x12 and that pretty much ended the debate for me. If anyone gets a chance to try their Carbines though an Fbass cab I strongly recommend you give it a shot. I know for me anyways the tone that I had in my brain and could never quite get on stage but came oh so close to is now something I'm getting on a regular basis :)

Tom

17. Baird6869

Tomkiss,

Where did you get the cab, George's shop or a retailer?

Didn't know he even made cabs!

18. Tomkiss

Tomkiss

Jun 30, 2011
    Hamilton Ontario, Canada
    Artist & Event Coordinator: Fbass
    They have been working on cabs there for quite awhile but just started selling them. Right now you can't get them from anywhere but George down in the Fbass factory. I was there the other day and he has 2x10's and 2x12's in stock and a whole bunch of different Techamps to run into them. Still love my Carbine though :).

Tom

19. L.A. BASS

L.A. BASS

Jul 30, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hey,
    Now that's a fine bit of work and information you just gave us all. Thanks for the very focused thoughts and descriptions. I'm trying to get warm a cozy with that #4 setting as long as I up the bass to around 2:00. Food for thought...

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What you found is not far from what I use for Reggae with a (passive) Road Worn Fender Jazz! :bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021