Mesa D-800+ or Genzler Amplification Magellan 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mdlewis, Nov 18, 2016.

1. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    I'm reconfiguring and looking for an alternative to supplement my Streamliner 900.
    This is a great amp, and I'm highly pleased with it, but I'm having problems getting the clarity? hi freq response? articulation? I need in some musical situations that are different than what I've spent most of my life playing up to now.

I guess I'm needing something that some of you might call a more hi-fi sound, but I've never been accused of hi-fidelity before, so I'm not actually sure what this means. I am not looking to replace any of my current cabinets, as I am very pleased with them.

I need to be able to pair the new head with several different cabs depending upon the venue and the combo. Each cab has its own challenges related to resonance and frequency response, so flexibility is important:

Revsound 2 x 8, Revsound 2 x10 and one or two Ampeg SVT 115e's.

The two subject heads are of interest because of the manufacturer's reputation, the eq (the Mesa in particular here, since it allows for parametric tuning of two mid bands which I'm thinking might be very useful for the 8s and 10s), and because of their ability to drive to 2 - 2.6 ohms.

Any thoughts or advice?

2. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I have owned the Magellan for a while and it replaced everything I had because it's simply that good. I have however purchased a new Mesa D-800+ and it will be here today. I like the older Mesa 800 but compared to the Genzler for me it didn't sound as good and as clean. The Genzler can be very clean and can dial in a little dirt too with the Drive channel.

AztecViking, Alphaman and mdlewis like this.
  3. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Excellent timing, campbems. Please let me know your thoughts on the two, also your cab configurations if you could.

slappa da beeus likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Buy the Mesa D800+ if you want:
    Simpler operation, 2 ohm stability, variable HP filter, USA made, best warranty out there, don't need heavy overdrive from your amp.

Buy the Genzler if you want:
    A lot of variable overdrive and tone shaping from your amp, dual channel operation, tuner output, and don't need 2 ohm operation (can do 2.6 ohms though).

Both are fantastic and pretty similar. Both have Genz DNA.

And if you ask me...the variable HP filter in the Mesa will be invaluable for use with 8's and 10's. Even if you get the Genzler, definitely consider a HP filter pedal. It works wonders.

mdlewis likes this.
  5. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    The Mesa wins on flexibility, easily, but I would think the inherent voicing on the Magellan is closer to what you want. In other words, either will get you there, but the Mesa would need more tweaking.

mdlewis likes this.
  6. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    That has occurred to me as well. The tiny 2 x 8 cabinet is surprisingly loud and full, but requires quite a lot of room dependent EQing to sound right. I think the HP filter might really simplify things considerably.

7. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Do you mean that the Mesa starts with a greater degree of coloration? I have zip experience with Mesa gear although I did play thru a 400+ once several years ago.

8. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    Yes, it goes deeper and a more aggressive rock-kind of tone, at least the D800 is (haven't played a +). Obviously the new controls on the plus mean you can get lots of places... The Genzler is more neutral out of the box.

mdlewis likes this.
  9. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    Sounds like you're wanting ultra clean which doesn't get better than the Magellan. I like both of the heads mentioned for different reasons. The D800 just adds this little bit of something I really like so it's not ultra clean like the Magellan but I like that sound. When I plug into the Magellan, it's surprising how clean that head sounds.

IanA and mdlewis like this.
  10. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    I'll just speak on the Magellan since I haven't tried the Mesa. The 800 is very flexible. I've used it with a variety of basses and venues and it has performed like a champ each time. Granted, I've only used it with 12's and going direct, but I find the controls very musical and easy to adjust. I don't think you'll feel any pain with either option. Excellent design and customer service on both fronts.

11. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Initial impressions in comparing my newly acquired Mesa 800+ against my Genzler 800 is the Genzler sounds better to me and more smooth to me with both amps set flat. With the gain and input for both set to the same the volume seems a little lower output with the Mesa vs the Genzler. I haven't had a chance to really test the knobs more than just simply flat for the Mesa 800+ but so far my Genzler is hands down better for me. I will try it a little more tonight but I'm thinking that the Mesa will either go back or sale it for a loss on here.

IanA, ExaltBass and mdlewis like this.
  12. Man, what a time to be a bass player. So many different flavors of wonderful to choose from : )

PWV, Flaky Tuna, chuck3 and 6 others like this.
  13. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    For sure. Sometimes too many options makes things more complicated.

Quantized Harmonic and IanA like this.
  14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just note that knob position means nothing (other than the choice of control taper and gain structure) between different designs. For any comparisons (not just between these two amps), you need to match volume and forget about knob position. Only then can you judge the amps based on the merits of tone and voicing.

15. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    I have the Genzler and am very satisfied with how it performs.
    Sounds great with all of the cabs that I have tried it through, both sealed and ported.
    I didn't get much time with the Mesa, but my initial impression was that it is a little more voiced. I am going back to give it a full work out in a few weeks as I really like the idea of a D800 with two of the Subway 15's

G RICH 5 and mdlewis like this.
  16. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've been a Genzler fan since I got mine in February. If you like the Jeff Genz sound, this is a refinement of that sonic direction in a well thought out and executed package. I use mine with a Noble tube pre/DI most of the time, but either way it is a great amp.

campbems, IanA and mdlewis like this.
  17. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    I'm not sure what that is...I've got a Streamliner 900 which is one of his designs. Does this have the sound you are referring to?

18. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Others here with direct experience should probably answer that one. I had a Shuttle 6.0 and this is much cleaner and more powerful.

mdlewis likes this.
  19. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I still use my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2, with a 6.0 as backup. No complaints or issues. Sounds great. I'm sure the Genzler amp is even better knowing Jeff Genzler quality.

20. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I owned a Streamliner, a Shuttle 6.0 and a Shuttlemax 9.2 and find the Magellan to sit tonally right between the Shuttlemax and Streamliner. I love it. It's very flexible tonally with a ton of usable settings. Hi-fi or vintage, it can do it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022