Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa M-2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dee Wurthy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Hello,,,during nice trip to Guitar Center today, I had the satisfaction of putting a beautiful sounding Mesa/Boogie M-2000 on layaway (going to pick it up and pay on saturday!) Nice deal too!

I was originally going for the Ampeg B4R but I went back and forth from one to the other (didnt take to many times) and realized that (IMO) the Mesa sounded realistically 400% better. Oh man, it was heaven...And so much to work with too.

Well, I do have a question...Tubes...when will they need to be replaced, what kind of tubes do I use for the 12 power tubes?

How much will it cost when I need to put new power tubes in (generally)? My best guess by looking around is about $250-$350 but I may be WAY off.

Thank you very much,
    (Future Mesa Owner) Dee Wurthy

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    You won't have to spend anything on power tubes for the M-2000. It's a tube pre (and SS pre), but I believe the power amp is Mos-Fet. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you paid over $1k for it, you might want to see about getting your money back. The Hollywood Mesa/Boogie store has them on sale for $999.
    Around here, you'll find some people that love them, and some that don't. I, personally, like it very much, and plan on picking one up after the first of the year.

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    There are 3 preamp tubes, but it doesn't have a tube amp section.

My all-time best sounding rig was an M-2000 through a Mesa Road Ready 4x10 and RR 1x15.

I got my entire rig used for around $1200.

I've seen the M-2000 go used for $600-800.

4. Hmm. The website says that it has "12 Tube Driven Power Mos-Fets". I assumed this meant 12 power tubes. So I was incorrect in that assumption?...(I really wasn't planning on getting it so I wasn't completely educated on its specs.)

So would you say that it projects less power than the 1000watt solid state power amp in the B4R?...eh, it doesnt matter cause it kicked the ampeg square in the nuts!

Don't worry about the pricing...I'd say it was in the region that you had both stated.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I guess total power, it is less than the B4R, but in pure volume, it definitely kicks it "square in the nuts". Mesa's stuff is LOUD.
    As long as you feel you're getting a fair deal, then you are getting one hell of an amp! I can't wait for mine!

6. And I too owned that exact set-up as well, albeit with a RR 2x10. The M2000 is a _very_ cool design, their "simulstate" approach. Not only a tube preamp but a third bottle as well that serves to drive the mosfets. As I understand it, this job is usually given to a SS circuit. What you end up with is a rig with very a pleasant "touch-response" less sterile if you will.
    You'll want to replace those tubes every 3-5 yearsor so....but really, a whole new set of something other than the Mesa labelled tubes is worth considering.
    The compressor on that amp is TO DIE FOR. So good. The rig is geared towards percussive styles, metal, funk etc. This is where the "catch" is. When playing punk-jazz it was amazing. When I later gravitated to dub....it was rather anemic, sorry. The new M-Pulse line addressed this by providing a very deeeep preamp. The M=2000 was ultimately teensy tiny and small sounding. I now use a simple Alembic F-1X and my tone is MASSIVE. I used to run my DBX 120XP in the loop of the Mesa just to get some depth happening.
    I was sad to let it go, it really was a great head but man, I don't regret the sale ($900) AT ALL. It's a great head tho'....don't sweat it.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have one. LOVE it. It does have a great touch response, as Madsub has said.

True, it doesn't have a stupid amount of low-end, but that doesn't matter too much; it still does the lows like crazy. I think it works well with just about any style. My Warr loves it: the compressors even out my volume discrepencies quite musically, and it handles my low F (yes, low F!) with aplomb. Good choice!

If you are looking for the perfect cabs for it, check into Mesa's older RR style cabs. Muy sexy!

8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Dee, congrats on your purchase! Ditto on what's been said so far. I've been playing them for years...GREAT amp!

9. Ahh, it feels good to finally have something nice.

Thank you all for your input, only a week left before a break this baby out of bondage!

Its also nice to know that retubing/maintanance will be rather easy and inexpensive. I've been trying to do my research a lot the past couple days, and I'm very happy about what I am seeing.

I did catch on to the percussive/metal sound that it seemed to do well. That is absolutly perfect. I think I just might get my perfect sound from it.

I didn't think that the 600w rating would really matter either...Playing this through 2 powerhouse 410's was almost tripple the volume of the B4R through the ampeg 810E.

Another VERY happy bass player.

Dee Wurthy

10. Oh, by the way...Let me get this straight...

It has a total of three tubes...One of these tubes is used to drive the mosfets...Correct?

These are all preamp tubes?

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Correct.

12. Well, only if you consider having to v e r y carefully unscrew somewhere around the neighbourhodd of 23 screws easy(!)

No issues there, believe me. It peaks at around 1200w's and is very dynamic.
    One tip; I had far better tone and response when i did the counter-intuitive and maxed the master using instead the preamp gain as the volume...very different and bolder overall tone IMO.

13. Sweet...Good M-2000 insight!

14. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Welcome to the Mesa M2000 owner club ;)

The mesa website tells it as 3 "12AX7" (tube ref) in preamp section, power amp driven by mosfet.

15. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys,

I've been thinking recently of adding this amp to the arsenal, mainly for it's versatility. Here's a couple Q's:

1. How's the weight... I didn't see any dimensions/weights in the manual at the Mesa website.

2. How's the fan noise? Is it ever fully 'off' and (hopefully) only kick in at a certain level? Or is it always 'On', maybe with varying speeds?

Thanks,
    Greg

16. Well, starting tommorow, I will be able to answer those questions....(at least the weight part...heehe)...

Yup, tommorow I 'Join the Club'...Wish me luck all.

17. fan on always, a little noisy maybe but i recorded with it no prob. Weight is negligable I'd say. Two AX7's for the preamp, the THIRD is what drives the Mosfets guys. Stick a 5751 in there and goodbye 600w's RMS.

18. Talking about a tone overhaul!....

Yes, I picked up my Mesa M-2000 today and it is heaven....I don't think I could be much happier! Ahhh....There is not much more to say. It is perfect for me. Ahhhhhh.

19. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Wait...what? Explain, monsieur, si vous plait.

20. Oh, just that the last bottle in line is a driver tube for those Mosfets and by putting a lower gain tube in that paticular slot the mosfets wouldn't really be doing as much as they could be. Mess around though (called "rolling" BTW; definition for obsesvive bottle swapping) you never know?