1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa M-pulse 600 ... GREAT amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, Dec 1, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Just got this amp in from kobass a couple weeks ago. It passed that at-home tonal candy test with flying colors, and last night I used it on a rehersal and it was even better in the real world.

The 3 band EQ is fantastic. The mids are passive, but the bass and treble are active so it isn't "interactive" like an F1-X, but the mid control does have a similar organic scoop when at or behind 3 o clock, and when you bump it past there you get a very natural sounding broad midrange boost (which the alembic can't do). Perfect! Boosting the highs ups the tubey candy factor dramatically, it has some of that clean SVT style glassyness with great texture, but its own unique sound ... and the low boost ... look out! It adds loads of fat, deep bottom end while never getting boomy or congested sounding. They absolutely nailed the 3 band EQ ... better than anything else I've tried. Easy to use and sounds great at any reasonable setting.

The semiparametric is noise-free, smooth operating, and great sounding. Perfect for adding some beef and brightness to my passive P-bass to keep up with my 55-94 when switching basses. Also perfect for anything else you can imagine! Very powerful and intuitive with good bandwidth choices (I like this much better than Eden's version of the same thing). There would be no room you couldn't dial in with this EQ.

The compressor sounds better to me than either the EBS or Demeter pedals, and the LED (simmilar to Trace's) gives the perfect way to monitor gain reduction.

To top it all off, I kept up with a 5 piece rock/funk band without ever taking the master volume past 10 o clock. This thing is loud and sounds great at higher volumes!

There is nothing I don't love about this amp.

By the way, those of you who say this amp sounds different from the Walkabout -- the manual says they have the same preamp. The difference you hear is probably tube selection.

OUT!

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I really really really like that amp.

I wish Mesa would catch up to the 21st century though and start offering their friggin' amps in preamp models!!!?!?! :mad: :mad:

I'd love to have the front of an M-Pulse in my rack- even if it were a larger 2-spacer like the Eden Nav... I'd hardly care.
    It's almost worth it if I got a big rolling shock rack to use the amp as just a pre and then line it out to my QSC on a different channel than the Aggy and then use two cabs-

Slick, slick amp!! :bassist:
    And the ParaEQ is dang powerful- you can shred some cabs if you're not careful!! ;)

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You could always just run a line out to a slave power amp ... or buy a pair of them and slave the second :bassist:

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Yeah I stated that in the post, except damn- almost what, 40lbs is an awful lot for a preamp, no matter HOW good it sounds!! ;)

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    David, glad to hear you are enjoying the amp!

Enough with the glowing reviews though, you're starting to induce seller's remorse...

:D

Kevin

6. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Miles upon miles of chrystal clear, uncolored headroom. It's like world geography in the days of Columbus. You really don't know where the (headroom) limit is. I like that kind of blissful ignorance...

When I first got mine, I sat down in search of "my sound", a pre-conceived tone I wanted to coax out of this amp.
    After just a few minutes I was convinced that this was waaaay different than other heads I've used. It's a palette, a magic carpet, a dream machine. I believe strongly that Mesa expects an Mpulse owner to be open-minded and somewhat discerning. Don't go looking for Ampeg-style preset mid dials on this baby (not an Ampeg dig, I have an SVP Pro on the way) 'cuz it ain't there. What IS there is upon first glance, a slightly intimidating array of dials. But be not afraid, be intrepid. Dive in with reckless abandon, because within is true bliss.

And yeh, the clean bottom end that you can squeeze out of this head (actually, you don't have to squeeze, it's more like opening a floodgate) is nothing short of stunning.

When my SVP arrives, I plan on putting it in the same rack with my Mpulse and lining it into the power stage of the Mpulse. I am WAY psyched about the tone choices I'll have then.

God made me a bassist. A happy bassist.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I know -- I was just kidding. A mesa pre would probably do very well on the market, though I think a significant part of the sound of this unit is the tube driver stage directly feeding the MOSFETs ... at least thats what their manual says, and it makes sense.

Can't wait to try this head with the 4 ohm db410 I have coming :bassist:

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

... or clever marketing... ;)

but yeah you make money off of amps, not $400-500 preamps and the like, so i doubt it'll happen soon, if ever.

someone here i remember had the one and only Mesa bass preamp ever made... think the guy used to work for them or something.
    anyhow, it was sick- was like a Triaxis but made for bass!

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I remember that too, I think it was a Triaxis that they changed the capacitors on to revoice the EQ for bass.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Your review of the 600 is exactly what I say about my Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. Powerful little amp that doesn't sound like it's "only" 300 watts. Great warm sound that makes every bass I own sound better. I didn't intend to buy it when I walked into the store. I wanted a GK 400 RB but they were sold out. I got a great deal on the Mesa and I've been using it for over 2 years now.

You're going to continue to be very pleased with your purchase, I'm sure.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My Mesa Walkabout encounter was very similar to yours. At a recent GC List sale, I went in looking to see if they had any deals on the GK BL210 combo (which they did). I happened to see a brand new (but a bit shop worn) Walkabout head with a very attractive price. I figured I could buy it and make a few bucks reselling it right away. Besides, being new gear it was returnable.

Got both amps home and was enjoying the BackLine (especially after reading fdeck's review on the EQ). Then I tried out the Walkabout and everything changed (and the BL went back to GC) The Walkabout it was the best sounding amp I'd ever played through, and the first amp I actually wanted to turn UP the mids... I'm lovin' it! (except for those flippin' jacks in the effects loop)

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never had a problem with them, but I never use them either. I think, that if they're defective, Mesa fixes them for you free. Yes, you can actually use the mids on the Mesa.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yours is probably the second generation with black graphics on the control panel and a loop bypass switch on the back...true? Mine has the reddish-brown graphics and no switch.

I called Mesa about it about two days after I bought the amp and it crapped out for the first time. They suggested that I simply clean the jacks...which I've done...twice.

I'll have to ask for them to do something about it...

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, mine has the black graphics. If I recall, it would be easy to replace the jacks on the Mesa. They're not hard c onnected to a circuit board. GK had that problem with a run of their 400 RBs. I just jumped it with a short instrument cable on my GK and forgot about it, but it would have been an easy fix if I'd decided to do something about it.

Good luck with yours.