Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Powerhouse

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fighterfire, Jul 17, 2004.

1. I recently tried the newest version of Mesa's Powerhouse 1X15 and I think it is what I want. I did some searching but am still confused about these. I know there were the Diesel and Roadredy designs and then both were redisigned to the Powerhouse and newer Roadready designs. Since then it seems that there was another change to the new "deep" Powerhouse, if I understand correctly.

Question is, what if any are the differences in the Powerhouse 1X15 cabs? Meaning when the Powerhouse series first came out to What is sold now.

I know most will say the older Diesel and Roadready cabs were better. I tried them and they sound good but I think that I prefer the Powerhouse.

Somebody has to know...

Thanks!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The difference between the first generation and second generation Powerhouse 1x15 cabs is that the new ones have a horn and the old ones do not.

3. Thanks for the reply. That's it huh? I am not sure exactly why or how but I was led to believe that there was some significant difference. As long as they all sound the same except for the tweeter then that makes it easier to find what I want. I don't use tweeters anyway.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it does have an attenuator, so you can turn the tweeter completely off, if you like. It's what I do to my Powerhouse 15 (and my Eden 410, for that matter)

5. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Actually, you could get a tweeter on the first generation Powerhouse also. I just looked at the "new" ones a few days ago. There are more hookup options (Speakon :) ) and there was some mention on the hangtag of improvements in the porting (I think it said front and rear). I'm not sure if they upgraded the drivers/horn or not. I was looking at the Powerhouse 1000 and noticed that they added some handles, rear rails and a tilt back castor setup.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    *gong!*

You are only half right. There was no horn on the first generation, so they added one in the second generation. They are now coming out with a third series with all the extra goodies you are talking about.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Don't know much about the Powerhouse jobs but the Diesel & Roadready had EV speakers & Birch construction.

I have a Diesel 1x18 that sounds great & think few cabs can match its low-end performance...

~S~

8. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    wow....I was gonged by a wiggling mustache :eyebrow:

I was unaware they were going on a 3rd version.....I stand corrected.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Respect mah authori-tah!!!! :D

10. The older Diesel cabs were equipped with EV speakers. The new power house line has Mesa's own developed woofer line, so I've been told.

11. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>>>>The new power house line has Mesa's own developed woofer line, so I've been told.

I other words they don't want us to know who makes their speakers anymore.
    I was also told by small dealer that he would discount a 2nd gen.Powerhouse 115 cab since there was a 3rd gen. Powerhouse cab about to come out.
    What is the usual price for a Powerhouse 115 ?? He wanted $475 for the new leftover 115 he had (he said it was a good markdown)

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Decent. They go for $300 used.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Being secretive has nothing to do with it. They are changing them because they think they sound better.