1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Titan - sad news...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blong1, Jul 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    Hey all, My Titan amp has taken a dump. It was an earlier model that apparently didn't get the update that was needed (new transformer, 2nd cooling fan).

I'm at my gig this past Saturday night and the amp just quit on me. I contacted Mesa about the problem, gave them the serial number, run down of the problem, etc... Long story short, it has died and needs to be sent back to MB for the updated parts. This is gonna cost me around $550-$600 with shipping.

My dilemma is what to do now. I love the amp, love the tone, and I probably won't ever buy another amp again if I decide to keep it. However, instead of keeping it and spending the money to have it repaired, I could put that money towards something else and just sell the Titan "as is" for cheap and let someone else send it in for repairs.

Mesa Titan users - Anyone that has had this update completed by MB, have you had any more trouble out of your amp? How long have you been running the amp since the update. I need info to make the decision easier and feel good about it.

I don't want to have to keep putting money in it...

HELP!!!

2. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    The problem I faced was similar but with a Big Block 750. Getting THAT tone and power from another amp is expensive. A DB751 comes to mind. So does a Fender Super Bassman.

I ended up selling my BB after fixing it. I still miss it, but it died one too many times to keep it. I went back to tube amps and a Scout.

3. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Sell for parts and put that $ towards a 400/400+.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Titan is a sick amp. I owned one for a good while. Massive.

5. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    Yep, and I loved it when it was working. I'm just curious about how well it is holding up after the upgrade...anyone?

6. onegunguitar

onegunguitar

Jul 1, 2010
    I had one with the upgrades done and it never gave me any problems. Sold it to a friend of mine and he played it quite a lot until just recently (because he quit playing bass)....he never had any issues with it that I'm aware of.

Al Kraft and blong1 like this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I do not own that amp, but Mesa updated 3 Carbines for me (under warranty, prior to actually having any failures) and those amps have been 100% trouble free. I feel very comfortable that Mesa fixes and updates done at the factory provide like new performance and reliability. If I was going to get a head repaired/updated by someone else, I'm not as sure that I would have that same level of confidence.

If you love the sound you get with that amp, I would seriously consider sending it to Mesa and having them get it back in operating condition with the latest version of their updates. It is an awesome head!

blong1 likes this.
  8. vchizzle

vchizzle

Jul 20, 2016
    My buddy has a V12 and had it go down on him while still under warranty. He sent it in to Mesa for repair/upgrade and has had no issues since. That was several years ago.

Al Kraft and blong1 like this.
  9. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    PM Aged Horse here and see what he reccomends

Tbone76, seang15 and Al Kraft like this.
  10. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    Aightden...will do

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Missed this. I am not very familiar with this model's history, I would recommend discussing it with tech support and see what their thoughts are.

12. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    Had one or two of these some years back and they flat out pounded. Very nice sounding head with a good amount of power!

TMARK likes this.
  13. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    I'm getting is fixed. Gonna ship it off this weekend.

Tbone76, seang15 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm confident the folks at Mesa will do a great job for you and keep that Titan smile on your face for years to come. They are very customer focused, and in my experience they are a company that understands and appreciates the concept that loyalty goes both ways. Best of luck!

blong1 likes this.
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm glad to see you're keeping your Titan. I was eyeballing the Titan really hard when I bought my pair of Powerhouse 212 cabinets some years back. Shortly after that, MB discontinued it. I hope you'll give us an update when you get it back from MB.

The Titan V12 head really had my interest back then. I wish I could've bought one new while they were still being made.

16. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    Absolutely man! The turn around time is about a month, but I have a MB D800 to get me by.

17. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Did you finally get your Titan back? Fully working?

18. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    I did...they installed a new transformer, added a fan, and a few other little things. It was expensive to get it repaired, but it was totally worth it. There just isn't a better sounding amp (to my ears) out there.

I've got about 15 gigs on it since getting it back...so far, so good...no problems.

I just wish it wasn't so heavy...or maybe I'm just getting old...ha.

19. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Seriously?? ;)
    The Titan is quite lightweight amp to me. My SVT 4 Pro is heavier.

20. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    Well, I do have it in a rack case with more equipment...and I'm getting old... :smug:

Attached Files: