Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Met Opeth last night!...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by greg, Oct 23, 2005.

1. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I went to go see them at White Rabbit in San Antonio last night. The show was okish i guess. Mikael's voice was a little out on his singing parts last night,but thats expected because they have been touring a lot lately. Im also not that big of a fan of the new cd,which they played alot of. Martin Lopez still isnt playing drums, but it is another guy named martin who is still as good. So during the concert my friend and i went outside and started talking to their merchandise guy and he told us to stay so we could meet them. So afterwords the came out and started signing stuff and i got to talk to each one for a few minutes. I'll post a picture of their autographs sometime. Martin and Peer by the way are extremely cool but they are like 5'4. Peter is insanely tall in person, hes got to be at least 6'5. They are all really really cool very down to earth guys. I talked to Marten for a little bit about bass, but white rabbit is a really crappy venue and the kicked everyone out during the autographs basically. These guys are really cool though. The FYE company that is kind of sponsoring them made everyone buy a cd if they wanted an autograph but Opeth said they would sign them anyways because losing a fan hurts a lot more than losing money. Their bouncer on stage was an ass though. Someone threw my friend on stage and the guy grabbed in really hard headlock and threw him on a ramp and started screaming at him. Even though there was no sign up that said you couldnt get on. Apparently Opeth got really pissed off about it. But anyways its really good to find a great band like of equally really cool guys. They are still on tour by the way.

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I didn't get to meet the members last night, but I did see one hell of a show. They only played 2 songs off their new record, then went to something from My Arms Your Hearse, Deliverance, Damnation (for the ladies they said :D ) then played a track off of Still Life. Mikaels voice was a little off on harmonies but he was dead on with the growling. I didn't know he was a funny guy, he was crackin jokes at every break, saying like, "So I heard there's some sort of game tonight.....what is it called? Baseball or something like that?" Martin Mendez was superb, absolutley flawless the entire show. I though he played Laney cabs, but he had I think a Warwick 4x12 and then what looked like 2 15's on the bottom. Whatever. He still sounded great. Awesome show. :bassist:

AuG

3. rsgars

rsgars

Aug 6, 2003
    NY State
    Next week they are staying the the hotel where I work.

4. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Yea i noticed that Martin was using warwick cabs. Mikael is hilarious, he said the same thing about damnation at the show you saw? The whole "we like chicks so we wrote this song for them," which is funny because Peter and Mikael are married, Martin's have girlfriends. I dont know alot about Per or the current drummer though, whose name also happens to be marten. Mikaels growls were dead on though.