Met Stu Hamm the other day

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 3, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, for one, I went to Walnut Creek and San Francisco on vacation and to celebrate the coming of the New Year with my girlfriend and her family. I truly enjoyed the slower way of life on the west coast, but truly missed the mad rush of New York City and Northern New Jersey. However, staying with such great and giving people, my girlfriend's father treated us to an evening at Teatro Zanzanni. This is basically an interactive circus with a five course semi-gourmet meal.

My girlfriend had attended Teatro over the summer, and sat in the center ring, and recieved much attention from the cast. This time, they wanted me to share the experience, but due to inclimate weather, we arrived fifteen minutes after the doors opened, and the center ring was full, and the best available table was by the band.

As we're being seated, I noticed a couple of Fender headstocks above the rhinestone-clad grand piano, tell my girlfriend and the seater overheard. He mentioned that Stu Hamm was the house bass player, and of course I didn't believe him. Stu Hamm is one of my favorite bass players ever, so I was in disbelief. The seater and I talked for a bit about Stu, then he left, and I start getting interrogated by the family about Stu. They don't believe I've heard of the guy, but I tell them all about him, his many world tours, playing with guitar greats like Vai and Satch, and they're amazed.

Then Stu came on stage, which was right behind us. My seatback rested on the edge of the stage, and he sat about ten feet behind me, on the other side of the piano while a little girl (his daughter?) played a piece on the piano. Then he disappeared again. Later, just before the show started, the pianist Ceasar came talking to me, and I mentioned that I was familiar with Stu's playing, and he told me he'd tell Stu about me, and apparently they talked backstage on one of their breaks.

After the show, Ceasar introduced me to Stu, and we chatted a while about bass and whatnot. He was pleasant, talked to me on the same level, didn't have the slightest rockstar attitude, and gave me a bit of advice for playing Quahogs Anyone? Someone called him from back stage, and he shoed them away, but had to run, but told me to stay put. He came around front and handed me a signed promo picture and a Teatro Zanzanni Stu Hamm pick, and shook my hand and everyone's in my party.

All and all Stu is a great guy, a great bassist, and truly gets along with the fans. He gets an A+ in my book!
  2. Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Cool. I met Stu several years ago when I was living in LA and he was touring with Satriani. A really nice guy. I had no idea he was the house bassist with Teatro Z. now. I will definitely have to cross the bridge and check it out.
  3. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Opened for Satriani years ago and had dinner with Stu. One hell of a nice, down to earth guy.
  4. Damn Australia, why dont any top class bassist ever come over here for me to meet?

Congrats man.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    That's very cool. Congrats! :cool:

I figured Stu was a nice guy just by the interviews I've read. :)

6. +1. Seems like a top bloke!