1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal can be so boring . . .

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jhan, May 3, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

Sure, I like metal, and I play metal primarily, but lately I've been thinking . . . it would be so cool if I could add some kind of craziness, you know? Some ring modulator, some wah, some distortion mixed with synth, go nuts with a Subdecay Prometheus or something.

I've been listening to lots of Muse and stuff like that, and in addition to the righteous grooves, some of the sounds are just so freakin' cool . . . I want to make some of that noise, man!

Guess I'm just getting bored with metal, which is like 'How fast and how technical can I play?' Yeah, I respect it. But, with the exception of a few bands, there's not much room in metal for experimentation effects-wise.

Guess I'm just getting bored, or perhaps I'm whinning. Regardless, my boredom with metal lately has led me on a learning path. Working on expanding my musical vocabulary, leanring more about theory, building my fill-repetoire. Whatever . . .

2. lucretius

lucretius Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Milwaukee
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You can experiment a lot in metal. Bands are out there.
    Do you know Grip Inc.?

4. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    If you think metal is boring you've never listened to BTBAM... They are my bread and butter.

5. Animals as leaders problem solved

they have no bassist but damn good music

6. bass-boy-roy

bass-boy-roy

Apr 29, 2010
    Qup Vadis, dream theatre, mastodon, gojira, opeth. There are 5 metal bands, each ultra unique sounding and most have used effects.(quo vadis bass is fretless so it sounds pretty weird:)

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Metal can be so boring . . .

Yep it can be very one dimensional

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    listen to more black metal. black metal is not about technicality. its about atmosphere, even if its super fast.

9. NEGRONOMOUS

NEGRONOMOUS

Mar 14, 2008
    Well what are you listening to be to be bored? IMO, the more technical it is, the more entertaining it is. Nonetheless inspiring

10. +1 Between the buried and me takes metal to a whole new level.

11. I was bored with metal about halfway through my stint with it, I went fretless and it was a whole new animal to me.
    Experiement, you never know what will come of it. If nothing else, playin bass in a metal band will ALWAYS help keep your chops up. That much is a given ;)

12. OP, what type of metal are you playing that you're so bored with?

13. kimio

kimio

Mar 10, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yup it can get pretty boring, until I discovered the ultimate low end of doom!!

14. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    Thas why you gonna' change to good ole rock n' roll. Alas, the basic I-IV-V progression never gets me down.

:bassist:

But seriously...
    You can add all the craziness you want, if that is what you want. The sky is the limit when we are talking about music. But for me... I've always shunned those progressive type metal bands. In my opinion, you don't have to be fast or technical to play metal. Metal is ENERGY. Some stupid wanker playing a 10 minute guitar solo with 32th notes on 300bpm, isn't metal. That is just wankery.

15. i found the bass playing on the Strapping Young Lad album 'Alien' to be pretty interesting.. it's just so pulsing and weird. listen to the song 'possessions' to get what i mean.

16. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    if you're not hearing anything new and interesting in metal, you're not listening to the right bands imo.
    check out:
    hacride
    iwrestledabearonce
    the faceless
    aborted
    opeth
    porcupine tree
    behold... the arctopus
    blotted science

just to name a few :)

17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If you're into Death/Grind, check out "Slaughtercult" by Exhumed.

Tastiest (and meanest) distortion on a bass guitar I ever heard in that genre. One of the few records you can actually hear the bass on, too.

That said... yeah, maybe a prog band may be more suited for you.

18. jhan

jhan Guest

Guess I'm just getting bored with metal altogether - especially extreme metal. (And believe me, I've heard it for years. I grew up down the street from one of the Morbid Angel guys and knew two or three other guys in seminal extreme metal bands.)

In the past few years I've turned to bands like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, etc. I'm glad that prog has made a huge return. But in playing with most metal guys, it seems like they don't listent to anything but straight up metal.

19. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    From an old time metal head (Sin After Sin, anyone?), I have found "modern" metal to be one of the most dogmatic, close-minded generes out there right now. I think the recent articles on GW on mixing metal was a good example, for each segment was basically how metal "must" be done.

"Rock" is a big umbrella, and metal is a small part of it. Rock can be really, really hard and not be metal (at least not speed, black, death, or whatever flavor is hot this month). Maybe what you really want to do is rock out, and screw the dogma. Open your horizions a bit, and find the fun again.

20. jhan

jhan Guest

That pretty much nails it. I really just want to rock out, play a fun groove, and screw the dogma. Time to widen my horizons.

Sin After Sin: AWESOME album.