1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metronomes Below 40BPM?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Zerofox Kitsune, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Hello,

Does anyone know of any metronomes available for purchase that go below 40BPM? I would be most satisfied with one that could reach 5 or 10, but 20 would also be acceptable.

Thanks,

-Zerofox Kitsune

2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a Boss DB-90 that goes down to 30 bpm. Mine is several years old but I'd think that the current model does too. It also does triplets and can emphasize beats. Bulky but useful.

3. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Band in the Box goes down to 30 and up tp 500!

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This one goes down to 1, and up as high as 500.

5. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  6. Thank you all for your input.

Perhaps I should have specified that I do not own any smartphone or tablet. However, I appreciate the suggestions, should I have to borrow one.

With regards to the BOSS metronome, I read somewhere on their website that its slowest tempo was 40BPM. Perhaps I was wrong?

Please keep the recommendations coming.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You know Shirley Horn is dead, right?

8. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Ha, ha, ha......

9. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    Boss dr beat db 66 !

Goes down to 40bpm. But has an accent fader, that you can use on 2&4 etc...and solo the accent sound and not the normal click. Equalling 20bpm!

10. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Okay, so Amazon still sells the DB-90 here. Unless they changed the program, it goes down to 30 bpm. In truth, it's a scaled down drum machine so you might find it overly complicated to use, but I rarely find that they get in my way and have found its flexibility useful when I'm working on complicated rhythms.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have one of the older Dr. Beat nomes (closest current one I see to it is the DB-90). While it's fine for what it does, it takes up a lot of space, has very limited sounds and volume, and eats batteries like nobody's business. It also costs upwards of $150. I don't own a smartphone and am resisting buying one, but having some of these apps on an iPod has been an absolute godsend. The metronomics app is the greatest metronome I have ever encountered in my life, and costs only $3. If you are thinking about a Dr. Beat, it might be worth looking into an iPod instead for only a little more money just for the music apps alone.

12. emilio g

emilio g

Jul 16, 2008
    Jersey City, NJ
    I have a DB-88 and a power supply I got on ebay for $20 total. You can set the bpm as low as 35, but to get even slower speeds, I set it to accent every 4 beats or whatever then take out the "beat" so it only plays the accent. You can get down to 10bpm or even lower this way. Certainly not as good as the modern metronome apps, but I'm a lowly graduate student with a dumbphone so it works for me!

13. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    My iphone metronome app, "Clockwork," goes to 20 bpm, with various accent and metric options. Does that count?

14. isolated

isolated Zenkaku

Dec 7, 2004
    The BX
    Yeah, but Jimmy Scott's still around ;)

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.