Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metronomes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jade, Feb 4, 2005.

1. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I've been playing bass for a while now with few little progress and now that's I'm learning a bit of theory and practicing more, I'm looking into getting a Metronome to help with my timing.

Any recommendations? I looking for a fairly inexpensive one as I am yet another, poor college student.

2. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    If you practice near a computer, you could try some online browser-based metronome software.

A quick google produced this apparently free:
    http://www.metronomeonline.com/

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I have a Boss DB-12 that I like a lot. As far as I know, you can't change the volume (other than muting it and using the LEDs), but otherwise it is pretty cool. It has tons of features, it is easy to use, and it was cheap too. I use it all the time and I have no intention of ever looking for something else. It is pretty rugged, too. It comes with a string so you can hang it on your neck, I guess (??), which means I swing it around a lot and bang it on stuff because I'm a dork, and it still works just fine. :p The battery has lasted a long time, too.

5. as everything else, MusiciansFriend.com has some fairly inexpensive metronomes...i suggest seiko, korg, or boss...you can get a good one for as cheap as $30.00...

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  7. slac65

slac65

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm looking for a metronome that plays different rhythm patterns. Any suggestions?

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have the Boss DB 88, and it can play different rhythm patterns. It can play one or two beat patterns from 1-8, so you can have it play any beat from 1 through 8, or use both beats to play 1+1, 1+2, 1+3, 1+4, etc. up to 8+8. This helps with practicing odd times, as odd time signatures are often broken up into two patterns. Like in playing 7/4, you may have the beat broken down into three beats and then 4 beats. Then you'd just set it to 3+4, and it would have an accent click on the 1 of 3 and the 1 of 4 to tell you where you are. You can use the memory function to save and play several of these different patterns in a row.

It has the option of clicks, wooden block sound, or talking, as in a voice counts off the beats (sounds weird, but it helps in complex rhythms), and adjustable volume. It has volume sliders for quarter, eighth, sixteenth, and eighth-note triplets, which are great for practicing something and then upping the note rate at the same tempo. It's got other stuff like a tuner and pitch adjustment as well.

It was a bit pricey for a metronome ($140), but it's the best one I've found for practice odd times and complex rhythms.

[​IMG]

10. Nice one Brian - that looks fantastic - if there's another thing I should practice it's playing odd time signatures - this looks great for other stuff as well - I'll try and track one down in London.

Mike

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Try this,
    get one of those old-fashoin ones with the pedulum and prop it up on one side with some card board stock for example.
    It will cause the metronome to be in odd time.