1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mexican Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeybassist, Mar 31, 2009.

1. monkeybassist

monkeybassist

Oct 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Endorsed by Ampeg, DR strings, strong relationship with Surine basses
    I bought a 1995 Mexican Jazz Squire from a Craigslist ad today. The guy had done an amateur (but good enough) de-fretting job himself some years back. It played semi-ok at his place; action a little high and strings played out, but for $100 I decided it wouldn't make any sense to not buy it. After cleaning the pots, changing the strings, lowering the action, and doing the intonation I'm totally floored by the sounds coming out of this thing, as well as its playability.:bassist: Does anyone have any experiences with these basses that they want to share? Is this just a random lucky thing, or are all the mid-nineties Mexican Squires such solid instruments?
    :hyper:

2. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    No pics no bass :)

I just bought an 03 mexican p bass. I'm also totally stunned by the way this bass sounds and plays. You notice that it is a more budget bass if you look at the hardware and fit. The hardware is not bad, but cheaper then the usa fenders. The fit is also very sloppy. Another thing is the headstock. It's a lot thinner the the us ones. In terms of durability i can imagine that a thick headstock can endure more abuse, but if you're a little carefull it won't be a problem. The hardware and fit wil be fixed in the future. This will be my project bass. But the basics are amazing on this one. Excellent bass for the money, and amazing basis to mod. Also good to use stock.