Mic or Direct out?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Dec 25, 2005.

1. I have a Berhinger UltraBass bx 1200 witha direct out,and this process will probably be used for live too.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you are gigging, you may need to consider a bigger, better setup.
  3. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Depends completely on PA support and the style of music. And heck, that Behr can put out some sound when it needs to.

I'd say direct out if you can. The Behrs I've worked with, though, have a hideous buzz through the direct out, so you'll have to try it out for yourself. Otherwise, if you mic, you'll have to search hard to find the "right" mic... which in itself is a pain in the butt.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I get the feeling he's asking from a recording perspective.

Rancid, try it both ways and compare. Use whatever works best.
  5. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Although I've never mic'ed a cab. Direct out seems to be just a hell of a lot easier. If you want to mic you need to find the mic that sounds good to you and pay for that. Then you gotta set up a boom stand when your gigging worry about mic placement, feedback, Picking up sounds from other sources. I think that alot of people when they mic will use a mix of the mic and the Direct. I reckon save your self time money and hassle and just direct out.
  6. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Man, I need to pay more attention to where I am in these forums. That "new posts" search has gotten me in more trouble... well, at least I didn't post in DB this time... lol...

I think if you're recording, a lot depends on what you want to hear. When I record bass, I usually try recording the bass guitar direct (no amp) and affecting the tone on the computer. Sometimes that doesn't work. When it doesn't, my next step is to try direct out of the amp. Sometimes that can provide a better tone, but sometimes you get the killer buzz. My last step is to mic the bass amp, and I use a bass drum mic, or a bass drum/SM57 combo.

Another good way to do it is a combination of the three methods. I understand that you have to slightly delay the direct method to sync with the mic'd method since electricity moves faster than sound... but someone else would have to discuss that, since I have no experience with it.
  7. Direct is quicker and easier for both giging and recording... if your amp DI has a buzz, get a decent DI Box - every basist should own one of these! - once you've mastered this, then you can start playing around with an extra fx line or start micing the cab to get a slightly different sound or whatever.

My advice is to go the direct route first - its way easier to mess things up by trying to mic, and way easier to get a good sound going direct...