Michael Angelo Battio versus Steve Vai

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Who is the fastest? I've heard claims that both are the fastest ever......I have seen Michael Angelo Battio on video and he's incredible, but people still say Vai is faster, including various guitar mags. So who is the fastest?
  2. who cares.....michael angelo mr classical metal which bored the poop outta my rectum, and vai who is more entertaining, has some stage presence over a mop with a god ugly guitar and some decent song writing skills over playing senselessly fast guitar over a classical track........speed is nothing without soul....

so on this one im gonna go spongebob squarepants.....i mean stevie ray vaughan or Django Reinhardt
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Chris Rea
  4. I've heard that name. Who is he? But please, don't bring other guitarists into it, it's gotta be between these two for now.
  5. well ill shut up now....but they both suck compared to stevie ray, jimi or jimmy page
  6. Hmmm, to be honest I don't think much of Jimi Hendrix, yes he started something, but others have improved on it.
  7. pfft.....you go on iggy now
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Slipknot among them, certainly.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    ow man, you don't get Jimi don't you? Jimi was fire, passion, blues coming out of his guitar! I just can't describe what I feel when I hear Jimi play. The soul that he had, it's incredible, everytime I hear him, I get shivers on my spine. Every note was right!
    It doesn't matter how many notes you play, it's the passion, the feel that matters, and untill this day, I haven't found another guitarplayer that comes close to Jimi.

btw; Steve Vai is defenitely the better player, although I think it is possible to train monkees to shred like that. I hate shredders.
  11. Why the hell do you have to mock me all the time? Yes, Jimi Hendrix could do some crazy stuff on the guitar, but I think other people have taken it to a new level.
  12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Um. I was joking.

Steve Vai is technically amazing, of course. I've owned a bunch of his cds in the past. The music is extremely boring to me, so I sold them.

I've seen pictures of the other guy holding bizarre left/right handed double neck guitars and I'm sure he's very proficient too.

Ever heard of John Otway?

13. I feel there's players out there who put a lot of emotion into their music. Malcolm Jones being the prime example.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You really can't take soul, passion, and feel to new levels. Technicallity and speed, maybe, but not the aformentioned qualities Hendrix had. I'm not a fan, but basically, you can't touch him. Period. Nobody's taken anything to a new level, just lateral movements.
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Well, uh, yes. I certainly feel emotional when I hear Runrig.

16. man..every other band iver heard you list plays mechanically...same thing all the time, same as the album just worse as you realise what recording techniques and overdubs they use.....jimi was pure, played his soul out, never played the same twice..same with jimi page..improvised the stairway to heaven solo for christs sake.....i dont care what you think...but no-ones gotten close to jimi, you just dont understand the man, its alright, only the chosen can understand jimi, you can live with your slipknot, i and plenty of others will acend to the heavens where Jimi, Noel Redding, Rick James, Ray Charles, John Lennon, Pistol Allen, John Bonham, Ray Charles, Barry White, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Paul Hester jam all night and day long, and i shall sit and watch in awe....while you listen to your droning, depressive, repetative and poorly skilled slipknot.....

its all fine by me man, but no-one, NO-ONE, comes close to what hendrix as does..people have been faster yes.....but at the sacrifice of songwriting, skill and soul....which is the heart of good music
  17. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Jack White

[Sorry - someone was going to say it, it might as well be me.]

I used to listen to a lot of shredder type stuff, but there's only so much technically astounding musicianship I can take before I need to listen to someone who's got emotions, passion, fire, whatever-you-want-to-call-it to get across.

[edit - previously used the word "struggling" in there, but that was from a previous incarnation of the sentence. Don't ask ;)]

The way I look at it is to think about other art forms. If you can paint so accurately that your paintings are indistinguishable from reality, it still doesn't mean you can get an emotional response from the viewer in the same way as their child's painting stuck to the fridge door.

Or literature: It took me 6 sylables to say "indistiguishable". It takes 3 to say "I love you".

(And as far as Jimi goes, Machine Gun does it for me every time.)
  18. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    battio can play, but i was at a local music store where he was performing. so i was like, eh i'll check it out. such a tool box.
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All I know is that Eugene Martone PWNED Steve Vai back at the crossroads in '86.

brad cook
  20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

Worst film ever.

Directed by the same guy who did Warriors.