1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micing tips!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by owen_liam, Mar 10, 2010.

1. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    I've recently started using my DB in live gigs and am using a Realist pickup through a Suitcase amp. My bass has a lovely acoustic sound and I'm only using the amp when I have to. The sound with the Realist is great but slightly one-dimensional compared to the acoustic sound. To try and improve and add complexity to my electronically aided sound, I'd love to experiment with a bit of a mix of PU and mic; I've been searching on here and that seems to be the preferred method for this kind of thing.

I have access to some Sure SM57s and I thought they might cover the mic job for my initial forays into this area. My question is how to best use them; a sound guy recently asked me how best to mic the bass to get a nice blend, and I had to confess that I had no idea. "Just point the mic at the bass" was the best I could manage! :oops:

I've seen some players mount mics directly to their instruments, almost behind the bridge, and it seems a good way of maintaining a constant micing position (I tend to move a lot when playing making it hard to stay consistently near mics on stands). Any advice on how to do this well (or badly!)?

So, any tips would be most welcome! Thanks guys.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's what I do, up between the bridge feet wrapped in foam.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I've tried that too but at least with the Shure vocal mics they reject off axis sound so much that I have had more success pointing the capsule more at the top my angling it through the afterlengths.

4125846991_6d7c8fd6bf_m.jpg

4. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks for that! Seems simple enough. How do you attach it through the afterlengths? It's a bit hard to see exactly from your photo. A bit of string or elastic band?! Also, is there the danger of rattles etc from the body of the mic touching the bass?

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Nah. Just wedge it in there. I put a little piece of fabric between the mic and the tailpiece to prevent rattles but those vocal mics are meant to not transfer handling noise anyway.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    here's a better view

4264227385_9957f63eff.jpg

7. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Brilliant! It doesn't get more explicit and definitive than that!

I am a big fan of the 'wedge it in' school of precision set ups.

Cheers guys!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020