1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Microphone inside the bass?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Robert, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Robert

Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello guys,

I've seen some bassists stick a microphone inside their bass, fitted with foam in the F-hole. This is setup is of course for live purposes, and from I what I can remember it sounded quite good blended with a pickup.

Does any of you have any experiences from this?

When talking about loudspeakers the tonecurve inside the speaker is identical to the outside sound except for a -12dB / octave tilt. Can this be true for the double bass as well?

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've not tried it myself but I know others that have. The endpin mic originally made by Ampeg (amplified peg) was an attempt at this and it it didn't last long. Someone recently brought out a new mic on an endpin - not sure how it sounds. You can also put a mic in through the f-hole which is the technique used by a couple of guys I know.

The sound inside is pretty mushy and boomy. To counteract the harshness of a pickup, it can be useful but on its own it's useless. Simplistically, there are two ways to create an amplified sound:

a) reproduce the sound
    b) recreate the sound

My aim with the bass has always been to do the former, hence items like the AMT, Dyn-B, Pub. As soon as you introduce a not so great pickup, you're into b).