1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale/Trade Mid-1920's Gibson K-1 Mandocello

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by klyph, Nov 16, 2018.

1. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    Price:
    I love this thing, but I don't play it nearly enough. My luthier says it is all original and the neck graft is a great repair that was likely done in the thirties. It has been strung for a couple of months now, but was unstrung in it's original case for decades until I "rescued" it. Pickguard is long gone. Sounds nice, playability is only ok: some experimentation with strings and judicious fret levelling is probably in order. If I wind up keeping it I will probably go with a single C string, which is a common "mod" for clarity and playability. I would probably also have a replica bridge made for pickup mounting purposes, although it is certainly loud enough for an traditional "session".

I would prefer not to ship this instrument. Price is OBO, offers are welcome, but please be sensible and respectful. I will drive to make a deal happen, New England or New York.

I am open to trades, but I am going to be kind of picky here. Mostly, I am looking for a five string bass guitar, eight lbs. or less, 34" scale or less. Brand and condition are secondary, I will take a Fernandes or Ibanez with cash on your end just as happily as a elrick, Marleaux or Sadowsky with cash on mine. Other trade interests would include 2x12 or 2x15 cabs, lightweight heads (esp. 2 ohm capable), and upright basses. IMG_20181116_174107409. IMG_20181116_174240033. IMG_20181116_174218723. IMG_20181116_174257046. IMG_20181116_174202627.

mikewalker likes this.
  2. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I've wanted one of these for years.

3. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    I have had the pleasure of knowing/playing with two great MC players for 25 years. I caught the bug early. I really need to focus on the axes that make money- this isn't one of them. I couldn't resist when I came across it. But I have an octave mandolin that satisfies my urges. If you would like to make an offer, I will consider shipping.

4. Mjbee

Mjbee

Jan 12, 2019
    Hi. Is this still available? I live in Arlington and would live to take a look.