Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

middle age precision pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jucas, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    So I have a '74 is precision that I got used that had been moded with bartolini pups (a P and a J added), and a new bridge (i think some random cheap thing) and I'm not really happy with the tone... I don't dislike it, but I don't quite like it either.

I'm looking to throw some new pups in there over the summer, and was looking for suggestions as I doubt that one can really try a pickup before buying it. I'd kinda like to be able to hit both that old thumpy tone as well as something with really clear highs/high mids. I suppose its tough to describe, but I'm not looking for a pup to do everything, just hit those 2 requirements.

I like the ease of passive, but its acitve now, so I have no problems with that, and its currently set up with vol/vol/tone and has been drilled to have the jack down on the side. I'm looking for simple controls, so I suppose no onboard eq.

As I know it makes a difference, i'm just using an ampeg B15R, and probly not gonna replace it.

THanks,
    -Chris