midi controllers

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by c-ba55, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Do they make any sound by themselves at all? Like, do they have the basic "General Midi" sounds?

Using them with a computer, what software do I need in order to make actual noise? Softsynth? Virtual Instruments? I don't really know what those terms mean.
  2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    No. :rolleyes:
  3. epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Although I'm new to computer recording, I'll have a go at explaining what I have learned. Some keyboards have built-in synths that you can play and hear if it has onboard speakers or thru headphones, etc. MIDI controllers, like my new M-Audio O2, does not make sounds per se, only used for triggering notes that MIDI sends to the computer to be processed by a synth such as your soundcard or softsynth (virtual instruments), etc. So MIDI does not make a sound. Only communicates with the computer.

I am using Cubase LE as my recording program and it has a couple softsynths to get started (basic drum machine, bass synth, strings). Virtual instruments are softsynths I believe. There are numerous options out there like drums, bass, brass, guitars, etc. You set your MIDI controller to trigger sounds you program it to (I'm still trying to set up mine). Now...the trick is to be able to "audition" drums or instruments as you play along to a backing track without an annoying phenomonon called "latency"....but I'll leave that one up to the more experienced :D

For more info go to www.cubase.net,www.cakewalk.com, etc on their FAQ sections.