1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIDI Keyboards?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Quick question...
    when they say midi keyboard, does that mean you can record as a .midi file?

2. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
    should, don't see why you couldn't. it comes with Albeton Live 4 so as long as you can record in Albeton using the Midi controller, should do it. question is, can you export Midi with Albeton.

3. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes, you can use it to record MIDI data with (if you have the appropriate software installed) or use it to trigger sounds/samples/synths via MIDI live. Looks like it includes some "lite" Windows software for sounds and recording.
    ---
    c

4. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Not sure about the LE version, but you can in the full version.
    ---
    c

5. yea the main thing is exporting, I use PowerTab when I compose music to have it written down much more neatly then pen and a blank staff, and it plays it back, even if only in midi, but it also has an import feature, so i can take a midi file and get the score for it, its not perfect and cant comprehend drums but it works pretty damn good. So if I could just play it on the keyboard in a MIDI file and plug it into PowerTab that would make my life easier as a composer.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It means a keyboard with a MIDI Interface, period.

To record a MIDI file you need either a keyboard with a sequencer built in that can export MIDI files somehow (the Creative does not do this) or a computer running an application that can record the incoming MIDI note data and export it as MIDI files.

7. then what can, and what about this alberton thing?

8. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
  9. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ableton Live 4 Lite does include some MIDI sequencing features and can probably export MIDI files but as I've never used it I'm not sure.

There are freeware sequencers that can do it if Live 4 Lite doesn't.

10. Will I be able to record what I play on the keyboard as a Midi file? if this is not the right type of keyboard what is? Will I need to purchase other software to get it to record midi files? What is one with a sequencer?

11. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You will need some kind of software. The included software might be enough but I am not familiar with it so I can't say for sure. The full version of Live can do SMF export, the Lite version may or may not.

12. You'll also need a MIDI cable and MIDI interface. It's possible to find these two combined into one unit.

13. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The link the OP posted is to a USB keyboard controller... no need for a MIDI cable or interface... it IS the interface. Just need a USB port on the computer and a USB cable (which I'm guessing the controller comes with).
    ---
    c

14. So it is. I just assumed it was a regular MIDI keyboard.

15. well i probably have the wrong thing picked out, i wanted a regular midi keyboard, or at least i assume i do, i have the sound card that can take a midi cable, i want one with this midi sequencer whatever it is, i just want to record midi files from the keyboard to my PC, what do i need?

16. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    What you linked to will work as long as you have a USB port on your machine.

Many MIDI controllers coming out these days are using USB in lieu of the older MIDI cables. They both transfer the same information/work the same.

Just to be clear, a MIDI controller is just a tool that's tells a sequencer (most typically a software application that runs on your computer) what to do (ie. play these notes, this hard, for this long) via MIDI data. You can usually use the sequencer software to record, edit, and arrange your MIDI data however you want. From there, you can often export your MIDI out of the sequncer as a MIDI file, or use it in the sequencer to trigger things like samples or software intruments and synths.

There are a lot of recording/sequencing applications out there, and most are probably more than you need. Your need seems pretty basic... you just want to record some MIDI export it into PowerTab. There might be some standalone MIDI sequencing apps out there, but I think that the Ableton Live LE app that is included with that controller should do the trick... as long as all the other features that you don't need don't get in the way or overwhelm you. It's worth a try... the software is included free.
    ---
    c

17. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Essentially the same the as the other one you posted, with some different control options (fewer control knobs), which prob wouldn't make a difference for your purposes.

Even though these are esentially utilitarian for you, probably the thing you'll want to do is try them out to see which "feels" the best when playing. I know the Apple store (if you happen to have one nearby) usually has a couple of these things on display to try out.

That might work, but I'm not sure how reliable the MIDI tracking (how well it captures the notes while playing) would be compared to the keyboard. I could be wrong, but my guess is that it would be a disappointment. Add-on MIDI systems for string instruments are usually much more expensive than that whole thing... I'm guessing there's a reason it's cheap.
    ---
    c