Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ladros2, Dec 20, 2005.

1. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Anybody know of a free program that can do this? I have a lot of MIDI files that I can't listen to on my MP3 player because it won't take MIDI.
  2. do you understand what midi is? isn't it just an interface to trigger other instruments?
  3. MIDI - (Musical Instrument Digital Interface). Standard specifications that enable electronic instruments such as the synthesizer, sampler, sequencer, and drum machine from any manufacturer to communicate with one another and with computers.

MIDI is not audio. You can't put it on your mp3 player.
  4. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm, I believe he is saying he wants to take the midi-triggered audio and record it as a wav...

I, too, cannot find a program that does this. Why is that? It doesn't sound hard to make at all, and I'm sure many people would appreciate it.
  5. You will probably find something that will work for you here
  6. This is called freezing a track.

If you load and play your midi sequence in a sequencer (cakewalk, cubase, Logic etc) use the "Freeze Track" feature. It will ask for the audio input and it should work.
    Now I've never done it with simply playing the midi sequence using the sounds off a sounds card... there is a recorder in windows that can probably take the input (yes, INPUT) off the on board midi synth.

7. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    I use a basic mixer to transfer midi sounds into Cool Edit Pro which accepts them as wav files.
    I use the two outputs on the back of my Korg module,into the mixer, into my soundcard.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can use winamp, but you have to switch on the cd writer plugin, so that it writes the wav output to the harddisc.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Midi2wav, a shareware program.
  10. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    What pdusen said is right. I have a way of doing it, but that would take the length of each song, some of which are eight minutes long, and some extra time too. Maybe some day when I'm really bored.
  11. MusicMan16

Nov 27, 2005
    hahahah just put ur computer mic at the speaker when u play it and record it on windows sound recorder or sumthing
  12. :D I'm using this as my sig from now on... BTW, let me know when the feedback dies down... ;)

FAQ: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108890
    Thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23305&highlight=convert

BUT, why? Converted MIDI files will sound pretty naff - most MIDI files need a fair amount of tweaking to get them to sound "realistic". Using your PC's built in MIDI engine (General MIDI soundbank) will more than likely sound pretty lame. Are these original compositions? If not, then it may be easier to download the MP3s directly.
  13. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Hehe, that was my first idea too when I saw that reply. :bag: :rollno:
  14. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    They're basically musicalish madness from a friend of mine. They're here if you're interested: http://tosgro.tripod.com
  15. MusicMan16

Nov 27, 2005
    Well i've done it before and i dont get feedback... so thats just ur problem
  16. Right, you don't get feedback because you turn the monitoring off.

To convert MIDI to WAV you can just go into the sound recording preferences and set it to record "what you hear" or whatever, and then record the MIDI in realtime. Or if you have a sequencer, the latest ones can freeze tracks, so you could just load up the MIDI file and do a mixdown.
  17. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    The program I use is called WinGroove. You can get it here. It's a high quality MIDI player that sounds FAR better than your stock MIDI driver, and it also has a function to output WAV files, which you will probably then have to convert to mp3.

It is shareware, but if you can use it for free for 10 days, and someone could search for the password on Google if one so desired... ;)