Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mighty Mite

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassist4christ, Dec 21, 2005.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I've read the posts on the site about them but to me most of them sound like people talking about them with out owning them. So my question is for the people who own them. How arew they as a budget replacment neck. I know htt they aren't a warmoth or anything, but are they decent.

Thanks

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I've had the opportunity to build a bass using a MM Jazz maple/rosewood neck. Was it a Warmoth? no. Was it an incredible neck for the $100 that the owner paid for it? yes

The neck had a great feel, was well finished, and a decent fret job. My only gripe was that the tuner holes in the headstock were a bit too large to properly hold the Shaller tuner grommets securely.

All the best,

R

3. I have a Mighty Mite 5-string P-bass neck; haven't used it but it looks very well-made.

4. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    How is the fret work on them?

5. It looks great on mine- level, polished, nice ends. Again, I have not installed it(bought it on a whim). I'd like to make a T-bird body for it someday, but don't hold your breath waiting on me- I am KING procrastinator. :D

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    the fret levelling was nicely done, and quite playable as delivered. more attention to detail could have been given to the fret ends, but this was nothing that can't be easily solved with a little bit of fine filing and 10 minutes of effort. I'll note that no fret would have cut my hand, but I could feel a small amount of inconsistency when sliding my hand up/down the neck.

All the best,

R

7. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I bought a Mighty Mite Maple on Maple P-Bass neck last spring. I put it on a Striped Mahogany body that I built. I am very happy with it. The frets were well dressed and the nut was cut correctly. No problems so far.
    If I were to compare it I would say that it is better than a typical Squire neck and about on par with the nicer MIM Fender necks that I have played(some of the MIM necks in the late 90's to around 2002 were pretty good necks, I have a very good one from 2000 on a MIM p-bass). Maybe not quite as nice as a Fender USA but not bad for the $89.95 I spent from Guitar Shop Supply/ TNT guitars.

8. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    Bassteban that would be a cool looking bass. Sort of like John Entwisles(sp?) Fenderbirds where he put p-bass necks on t-bird bodies. Except yours would be 5-string; even cooler.
    Don't procrastonate. bulid it so we can see pictures. :D

9. Yeah, I would be somewhat ripping off/paying tribute to Entwistle(an early hero)if I ever complete this project. I'm seeing a big, fat MM-style humbucker & active preamp, though- just to be a bit different. And if I ever do this, I will CLOG TB w/pics. :rollno:

10. I would be able to tell you...had my Fender copy been a carbon copy with it's neck pocket...hmph.