1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ fender experts help needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rorykins, Aug 16, 2007.

1. hello all!
    i own a wicked MIJ fender 75 reissue bass. ive had it for about 7 years now and its my main player. it is however unusually light. it sounds like no other jazz bass ive tried, but i love it to bits! i just tried a jaguar bass, and it was sweet but i'm jazz all the way.

i wanna get a fender japan 75 jazz bass, to back up this one and maybe make it active

here is the question...
    will the CIJ 75 be..
    1) heavy as, say a jaguar bass?
    2) as good build quality?
    3) anything like the geddy lee bass? (im a maple neck with pearloid blocks guy but would consider black blocks)
    4) can you get the electronics for the jaguar? or something like it?anyone know?

thanks all!
    cheers!

2. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    All the MIJ basses I have handle here in Tokyo, weight wise vary from bass to bass (same models). JB75's
    Build quality is excellent on all models from the cheapies on up.
    Shops still order "Geddy Lee" (black/maple black blocks) combos, but the current standard '75 series is varied in colors and neck combinations.
    You might be able to order the Jag's electronics through the parts catalog(in Japan), but it would not be easy.

you can see a few of the models here.. even if you can't read Japanese you can look at the pretty pictures.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/bs-index.htm

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm no expert on the 75 Jazz, but the pre in the Jag is nothing special, just a 2-band, boost only EQ. Why not get the Jazz you want and drop an Aguilar OBP-1 in it. Its a similar pre in operation, but it probably sounds way better. I'm getting my Jag this week, and while I like the pre, I will probably mod it with the Aggy pre at some point.

4. or you could put a Audere in it....theyre very transparent but can be amazing....or so I hear....mine comes in next week

5. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Audere or J-retro would be other very good options.

6. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Audere is slightly cheaper then the OBP-3 and comes pre-harnessed and stuff for the Jazz.. it's also a lot better then the electronics on the Jag.

7. thanks for the responses.
    the audere is to complicated for me, i like simple active....like a 2 band stingray. (but with 2 volumes). i just couldn't believe how the jag sounded compared to many other basses in th shop.
    any other comments on the weight comparison or quality of either the jag or geddy to the ri75 (mij)?

8. sorry, i guess the audere is pretty simple...i just looked again.
    whoops

9. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Hi, check out the bass at this link, and look at the top left of the page and click on the blue Fender Japan link.
    http://translate.google.com/transla...num=20&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=G&pwst=1
    That JB65B series with the binding all around the neck keeps popping up in my dreams :D IMHO that's one of the finest new jazz's the good people in Japan are offering. By the way, that link puts you in Fender Japan heaven man!

10. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    True, but I would recommend the OBP-1 for what he is looking for. It is similar in function to the Jaguar electronics, but he could stack the bass and treble on a single knoob in place of his tone know and have a Jazz with similar/better active EQ than the Jaguar.

BTW, I am not knocking the Jaguar, I am actually getting one very soon. Its eq is definately useful, and I like it being boost only. Its just that the EQ is not anything magical or special that you can't get elsewhere.

11. ok, lots to think about preamp wise.
    how about the construction? ive always felt that my jazz was a bit light and that hardware could have been better. the jag felt meaty.
    is the newer cij stuff better than the old mij basses?

oh..and is one 70s jazz better quality than another from ishibashi?