Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull P4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Jan 26, 2004.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've seen lots of stuff on Mike Lull's P5, but nothing on the 4. I'm looking to get a P, and am thinking about going custom. Also not sure if I want to spend the $3k+ for a Sadowsky.

None of the dealers in my area have a P4. Anyone out there own one? Play one? Seen one? Heard of one (obviously I'm getting silly here)?

Anything?

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I had a natural P4 about a year ago that was superb. Nice and light, great tone, perfect neck. I bought and sold it for right around $1K (used).

Obviously a Sadowsky would be nice, but also take a good look at the Lakland Bob Glaub's (USA or Skyline).

For a 'non-boutique' P-bass, the G&L LB-100's and Legacy's are an excellent bass in the $400-500 range.

3. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Lull P-4's are super nice. I have absolutely no complaints about mine--the best P I've ever played. Here's a couple of pics for you.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Mine is white over swamp ash. Very well balanced and plays effortlessly.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    BassFiddle63,
    Great looking P4! :D I just ordered one just like that in black and the next one I put on order will be a P/J version of yours. Classic look and classic tone! ;) :bassist:

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Very cool. Kevin - I checked their site - all I saw were Js. I am right near them, and would love to go there to try it out.

Kevin, Steve and Bassfiddle - how is the stock bridge? I have a BadAssII on my present bass because I didn't care for the stock Fender.

JPJ - I'm gonna call G and see if indeed they have one in stock to try (if you have any contacts there let me know). Then you and I have to start talking $$$ and specifics.

7. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma

Thanks JPJ. I've often thought that having the P/J version with a Jazz width nut would be very cool. I also have a Lull Vintage Jazz so at least I have the P & J covered anyway. I've tried Sadowsky, Lakland Joe, and several other Jazz basses but the Lull is my preference.

It seems just fine. It's easy to adjust. Has rollers for string spacing. The Bass has a gutsy tone with plenty of sustain. I'm not sure if mine is Brass or Aluminum but I think Aluminum comes factory unless you special order, if I'm not mistaken.

[​IMG]

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Absolutely right! The aluminum Hipshot allows you to have one foot in the present and one in the past. The Hipshot gives you a little more mass than the usual vintage-style bridge. It also gives you a lot more control over saddle height, intonation, etc. However, it's made of aluminum just like the old bridges were, so the tone is still similar. Brass will give you a very different color.