1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Fender Jazz 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tenju777, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hey Tb! I'm a long time reader and a new member to the forums. My question is about a MIM Fender Jazz 5 my dad gave me a couple years ago. It's a good little bass, but there's a few things about it that bug me to no end.

For starters the action is really weird, like I'll get it perfect near the bottom frets but it'll be too close up high and all the notes are muffled. Or it'll be good up high but it's too high and tight down low. I've tried adjusting the truss rod a few times but it only seemed to help slightly.

And secondly the E and B string sound very...Subby. No matter how I raise or lower the pickups they just sound very bassy. I've tried adjusting all kinds of eq to make up for it too but it doesn't help.

Now I'm very aware that this is by no means a high end bass so all these problems could very well be just because it's only a decent bass. But if there's something I could do to spruce it up, (new pickups, adding a pre-amp, etc), I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on it :).

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    It should sound good with a good setup, maybe add a shim in the neck pocket and then adjust the bridge and pickups.

3. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Agree with spending the 20 or so dollars to get it set up by someone that does it everyday. I had a mim deluxe with the same problems. DR strings are my favorite. If you are looking for an on board pre, I really like the audere on jazz basses. Off board, try out a vt bass pedal.

4. Thanks for the replies guys! I'll look into stores that do setups around town. I've learned how to do basic stuff but I've never had it done by a professional.