1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Minnesota Orchestra

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Douglas.Nestler, Oct 2, 2008.

1. If I understood correctly, MinnOrch prelims started today. Any news?

2. #1Stool

#1Stool

Sep 30, 2008
    I heard that quite a few people advanced today. Some of the names I heard advanced were Ira Gold, Dave Sheets, and Tony Parry - although I don't know any of this for certain.

3. I spoke with one of the section members (who shall remain nameless:ninja:) last night and he said that there weren't that many overall and that the prelims really felt like the semi-finals. He made it sound like there were about ten or so moving on and that those would be cut down to three or four for the next round. There are a couple of people that were offered skips through the prelims so they will be added to the next rounds also. I didn't really hear a ton of names mentioned but I did hear that the principle from Cincinnati, Owen Lee, was offered a pass through the prelims and decided not to come. I also think that Erik Harris was offered the skip also and is coming for the next round. Overall they said that every person that has played has been outstanding, which I guess is to be expected. I was a little weary of the "no screens" audtition:eyebrow: but I guess that every person has had about 10-15 minutes instead of about 5-8 (which I hear is pretty normal). Much more time to show your stuff. The people listening have been happy with it also. I would be interested to see what the auditioners thought of the lack of screens.

4. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    Kate Nettleman won the section position. No winner for the principal job.

5. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Wow...She also won principal in Hong Kong Phil...Wonder which Job she'll take.

6. Sweet! Go her!

7. filrich

filrich

Oct 14, 2006
    no principal....hmmm....this sounds a bit cliche now!

Any takers on how many auditions it will take to fill this spot?

8. sybarite

sybarite

Mar 4, 2006
    New York, NY
    F*CK YA!!! Go Kate! aspen 2000 represent!

9. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005

10. No principle eh... They must be waiting for me to come take the audition;)
    and congrats to kate, I hope she stays in the Midwest.

11. I heard a rumor that Tom Spurtwhistle was runner up. Can anyone confirm this?

12. Nick_Browne

Nick_Browne

Feb 7, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Where did he study?

13. Sweet good to see some one from Wisconsin Chamber doing well. (if anyone didnt know about half the orchestra is on strike). She is an awesome player.