1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Misaligned PUs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mok, Jun 5, 2012.

1. mok

mok

Jun 19, 2011
    Hi everyone, I have a fender copy here at home which I'm planning to upgrade its pickups soon. But the thing is the PUs are somewhat misaligned? I'm judging by the pole pieces on both the P and J PUs. The P PU isn't that misaligned though compared to the J which is "too off", where the strings are already on top of the pole pieces and the PU itself isn't aligned...

I attached pictures of my bass here, sorry if it's not that clear.

Is there something I can do to remedy this?

Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    Lol.

I mean, dang, that looks like a problem. Wouldn't be much of one if it were hidden under a pick guard.

Subbed to see where it goes. Good luck.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Fixing that isn't going to change the sound any, it'll just look better and only to you that holds the bass and looks at it, from two feet away at any angle other than perfectly perpendicular, it will not be noticed.

Neck alignment is noticeable if that's what is causing your "issue". Take a look at your string alignment on the neck. Is the E closer to the edge of the neck than the G? If so loosen the neck screws 1/4 turn and move the neck right, until the strings are evenly aligned with the neck and tighten the screws. Your pickup situation will have improved at the same time. It's safe to do this with the strings at full tension.

4. The magnetic fields pickup more than just the where the pole pieces sit. Unless it bothers you cosmetically, don't worry about it.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    ... chances are the builder accidentally put a neck single coil in the bridge position: can happen on some kind of instruments

Bridge singles sport wider string spaced polepieces: try and find one, in equal quality (just a cheap and effective thing) and everything will fall in its place.

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The standard bridge pickups also "sport" larger lengthwise dimensions, so if that is in fact a neck pickup, a bridge won't fit in the route.

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Agree with this. Purely cosmetic. I've seen worse alignment.
    The sound will not be affected

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Initially the pickup covers hid any misalignment.

Since the mag field is a contiguous strip and not discrete pools with the dual pole design that kind of misalignment won't effect the sound if the bass is setup with the proper string to pickup distance.

9. mok

mok

Jun 19, 2011
    Checked the neck and neither the E or G is closer to the strings.

I see, thanks. But is it ok that the J PU is not aligned? the PU's side for the G is nearer than the bridge than for the E?

I'm planning to replace the stock PUs with SD PUs so I compared the dimensions of my J PU here with a SJB-2b in their website, it looks like it would fit in correctly.

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate it.