1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Missed opportunity!! DANG!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 26, 2009.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Due to my unavailability on about 6 dates and my unwillingness to play in bars (during the week), I missed out on getting with one of the area's better and busier bands! Right now, they have 40+ dates on the books all the way into December (with more dates piling in) and many of the band members do this as their sole income! :crying::crying:

Anyone else here miss similar golden opportunities!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I did not know this area had any busy bands. Not that I would do it, either (I turned down a once-a-week "house" gig 'cause I don't want to be out every Tuesday night).
    Who are they?

Once. Back around '84, I was pretty much slated to fill the bass seat in my friend's very popular, very happening Beach bar band...until some guy from DC named Oteil what's his name showed up.
    ...and the rest is history.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

PM'd ya.

4. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Being in the Air Force, I have had to cancel & turn down a LOT of gigs...too many to mention here.

Shift work, deployments, TDY's, etc...

5. Not to get into semantics, but this doesn't really sound like a golden opportunity. The six date conflicts, maybe, but the weekday stuff sounds like a pretty fundamental difference in criteria. Not trying to be argumentative or anything here - it just sounds like you made a "true-to-yourself" decision...good for you.

But...yeah, I have a few regrets over the years on opportunities I either passed up or couldn't fit into the schedule. Short European tour...recording project that actually went somewhere...yada yada. :D

6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Back in the 1980's, I was invited by a former bandmate to try out for the open bass seat in his new band. I passed, because I only need two more semesters to get my degree. Band goes on to record one platinum and two gold records, tour the world, Grammy nomination, covers of several music publications, etc.

Fast forward a few years -- Now in law school. Same friend calls and refers me to do some studio work for a new band cutting their first album. I do some tracks and get along with everyone pretty well. A couple of years later the bassist OD's and the singer calls me to see if I want the job. I've passed the bar and am only playing casuals now, so I pass. Band goes on to record gold album, MTV, etc.

Used to kick myself over these. Then my kids were born and I realized that I am right where I am supposed to be. Any other path in life would have lead me to somewhere (and likely someone) else. I cannot imagine a world without them. So, for me, there are no regrets. It all turned out as it should.

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Rules are for fools and guidelines for wisemen.