Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mixer to computer mic jack

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by scorpionldr, May 21, 2005.

1. ok long story short, for some reason the quality of my analog recorder makes the mixer into the mic jack on my computer sound like crap. how do i set up a mixer to go into a computer? i'll be recording through "sound recorder" on windows

2. From my experiences, anything recordered through windows sound recorder isn't good to sound good. If you're looking for some decent freeware software, look up Audacity.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Try using the line in rather than mic.

4. ok,on the side of my laptop i see three 1/8 jacks. from left to right i'm seeing a microphone (obviously), then i see this thing that looks like two sound waves with an arrow pointing left (like this (((<-))) cept with the arrow going through teh right into the center), and then a head phone jack. do i want to use the middle one?

also, is audacity virus free? i keep going to download.com to hear that people get their machines screwed up from using it. i can't afford to lose this machine, it's my lifeline

5. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The middle one sounds right. They should be colour coded. The line in is blue.

6. now that i think about it, line out is supposed to mean that everything you play will come throu the speakers, isn't it? i'm trying to avoid making the speakers explode, as we are a very bass relying band.

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Line in and line out are seperate. You can control each independantly with the computers mixer app.