Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing Desks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by blipndub, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Not the whole mixer deal just the furniture. I would love to see pictures of what you all have set up for recording. I'm about to move into a place with a whole room for music and I want a desk that can accomodate mixer, pc keyboard, monitors, rack gear and pc monitor. The cheap ones at MF I think will place to monitor too high.

What have you guys come up with?

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The good stuff is kinda spendy, but Middle Atlantic, Raxxess and Argosy are all nice products. You know right tool for the job type stuff.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I considered the "designed for studio" furniture, and then eventually went with a standard issue super long "family gathering" table that my wife found for $5 at a local garage sale. I have my LCDs propped up on some old Time Life books from my parents' basement. I have more than enough room for monitors, lamps, keyboard, trackball, whatever. Computer sits under the table.

My mixer was conveniently built to be 19" wide and it sits in a top-load rack to the left of the table. The rest of my gear is in a 16 space SKB rack next to it that I got used off of ebay.

Total furniture cost so far is just over $200, because pre built racks can get pricy.

My setup is very solid and very modular. I can get to everything very easily and any recabling or alternate patching I have to do is a snap. It isn't pretty, but I don't care about that because rock isn't pretty, baby. The money I saved went toward nice mics and other gear.

I doubt I'll ever buy any of that stuff. I have a table saw and several lumber stores nearby, so if I ever need a table with integrated rack or something similarly ridiculous I'll just build it. It'll be cheaper, more solid, and more ergonomic. None of the plastic coated particle board contraptions I've seen justify the expense.

Plus this way if someone accidentally gouges my $5 table, I don't have to break their nose over it.