1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mixing two signals to one mono output.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bigshiny, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I have a K&K rockabilly system. So after my preamp I would like to use the individual outs and run each pickup thru some effects and combine them back to a mono signal. I have this on a larger pedal board with a mixer. I am trying to keep this board much smaller and not to expensive. I have looked at the Rolls,Nady,Behringer small mixers (volume only) but reliability issues start to run through my head. I just need to combine two signals without loss of tone or gain and without ground loop hum. Does such a simple box exist? Two 1/4 mono female inputs to one 1/4 mono female output? Any suggestions?

2. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    There are any number of small mixers available now with this capability. The ones with one XLR input should do the job. Look at some thing like the Notepad 102 Mixer by Soundcraft if you are on the cheap.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If you're a bit handy, you can easily make a passive mixer. You'll lose 6 dB, which you can make up with additional gain in your amp.

4. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    That sounds good, ultimate, maybe a new product!:) An ABY box might be worth trying as well. ART is making a nice compact model now, it's called "CoolSWITCH A/B-Y Box". Very affordable.

5. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Look up SFX. Max makes the highest quality built to last gear. He has several units that would fit the bill. He also does custom work.

6. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    this one is built like a tank, passive, affordable. I've got an old Shure mixer that is pretty much the same thing. Works real well.

DOD 240 RESISTANCE MIXER
    A passive, four to one resistance mixer. Each of the four 1/4" unbalanced inputs have individual level controls, which feed one unbalanced 1/4" output. Can also be run in reverse to provide a one in to four out splitter. Housed in a rugged alloy cast chassis.

7. bigshiny

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I have looked at the precious models in my original post. But I haven't seen the DOD yet. It looks like a more rugged housing than the others. Has anyone had any experience with these type of units?

8. bigshiny

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I will say that I like the fact that it's passive and requires no power.

9. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Passive is good, but remember you can't have passive and no loss of gain, as fdeck noted above. IIRC, Rolls also makes one that's probably good for the money.

10. bigshiny

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    Think I am going to go for the Rolls MX28. Looks well built. Haven't read any bad reviews. Looks like it's USA made also, It's close to the price of some other manufacturers conventional mixers. But the size/quality is probably the selling point for me. I liked the idea of the passive, but I don't want to lose that much gain.

11. bdowd

bdowd Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2005
    New Hampton, NH
    I haven't tried the Radial Big Shot i/o, but it looks like it might be an option for you as well. If anybody has used one I'd love to hear about your experience as I'm thinking of adding one to my doubling rig.

12. bigshiny

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I have used one of the Radial Big Shot i/o extensively. No problems. Good price, well built, no power needed. The only drawback I have with it not needing power is that there are no lights to indicate mute, or channel selection. But I find the simplicity of the pedal outweighs these issues. When I first started doubling I set my pedalboard up with some Lehle switchers. Amazing workhorses. They are expensive, but they are built like tanks. Never an issue, and the lights have magnifiers over them so that you can see the status on the brightest summer days. But yes, the Radial is a great versatile pedal.