SOLD MM Big Al 5 SSS Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Flipper, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Price:
    $1800
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    Mint. IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2128.JPG What can I say, I ordered this the last day before they were discontinued. The last Fretless Big Al to come off the line I was told. I asked for a letter, but they wouldn't do it. Pretty light, less than 10 I think. Pau Ferro board. Same 18v pre as the Reflex (check my other auctions). Plays great, I'm just not using it, I have too many basses and it's a crime to leave it in the case. Shipping is on you. IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2129.JPG IMG_2130.JPG

2. eee

eee Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    This is exactly the bass I want help

Flipper likes this.
  3. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    You need...NEED...this bass. As I look at the crappy pics I took, the reluctance to sell is building. Somebody buy this quick.

eee likes this.
  4. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    looks fantastic. not for me, I have a "big fretless" to play that takes all my time, but GLWTS man.

Flipper likes this.
  5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    oh my!

Flipper likes this.
  6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    That's awesome. If I didn't have 2 fretli on trucks heading my way I'd be all over this

Flipper likes this.
  7. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

WOW...that sir is Fabulous, wish I could add it to the collection!!!!

Flipper likes this.
  8. I've never seen such a thing anywhere :thumbsup:. Used to think Big Al's were ugly until I played one at NAMM. They really are awesome!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    coyoteboy and Flipper like this.
  9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Where are the side dots located? In between the fret lines like a fretted or on the fret positions?

10. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    The dots are as if they are on a fretted neck. From the players angle you can see both the dots and "fret lines."

11. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    I'll keep the post up a while longer. Really thought it would generate more interest.

12. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Both your Reflex and Big Al are beautiful. Can you comment on the b string on both and send me a full pic of both basses side by side via PM?

13. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    I'll try on the B string. I've never been too good at quantifying the subjective. I've never found the B on any MM to be lacking. With the 18v preamps in both basses (I think they're the same) all the combinations of tones are very level across all of the strings. They're both very aggressive sounding instruments. Tight, focused, deep, and mean, that's what the Bs are on both, even in passive mode.

I bought both of the basses to be similar enough, output-wise, to be used through the same channel on my amp, without having to really screw around with different settings. Works brilliantly!

I'll get some more pics together as you requested.

14. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    IMG_2153.JPG IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2156.JPG IMG_2157.JPG

2milehighspike likes this.
  15. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    View attachment 1091168

This is the sticker that shows the function of the preamp switches and knobs. It's pretty self explanatory, but if you have any questions please ask!

16. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    The Reflex sold. But this Beautiful Big Al Bass is still on the Block!

17. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks. Considering.

Flipper likes this.
  18. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    I'd like to reiterate, this bass is spotless. It never even hung on a wall in a shop. Outside of the factory, it has only ever been touched by me. Somebody is going to get a smokin deal on a new, discontinued bass, for several hundred less than I payed.

19. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    I'll be unable to ship from April 18th-26th. Good news though! You'll still be able to buy!!!

20. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Trip didn't pan out so shipping is as before. So. You should buy it. Do it. Buy it.