Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM pups. What type are they ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Feb 22, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Not being a fan of the bass itself, but liking the tone of the pickups, are they a BIG single coil, a dual coil, tappable HB..??

Does anyone else make an MM copy any better ?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It really depends on how you wire it and what "type" of MM-style pickup you're talking about. For instance, a triple coil MM-style pickup (commonly used in the EBMM Sterling) can be wired for series, parallel, and/or singlecoil operation. If you're just talking about a standard "dual coil" design, most people will have that style of pickup wired in either series or parallel, depending on what type of tone they're going for. Needless to say, you do have quite a bit of flexability when it comes to the various wiring schemes you can do with a MM-style pickup, but it really depends on the type of pickup you're talking about....how many coils and lead wires you have to work with. If you do a search, you might even be able to find different wiring schematics, and good MM-style pickups should come with wiring options as well. ;) :bassist:

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks JPJ. That triple coil MM sounds like the dogs danglies. I like the look of them too.

I'm a big fan of 1 pup in a bass, and both my last 2 basses,
    ( Aria Pro 2 SB600 lined fretless, the 81 model - and a 95 Status Shark ) were both single pups.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Just found this JPJ ... Bart make a triple MM !

MMC - bright, smooth humbucker - strong lows and low mids

MMK - brighter humbucker - treble enhanced version of the

MMX - brightest, but not harsh, humbucker - more treble and bass than the MMK

MME - bright, smooth triple coil design

MMEX - brightest, treble enhanced version of the MME

5. my favorite mm pu's are the delano quad coils, which are of course also splitable without noise (though iirc you cant wire them in a p config :( )

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Delano - not heard of those

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have a dual coil Nordstrand MM clone that I really dig (and recommend). I've got a four string Bartolini MMC that is good too, but the Bart MM is a different animal. The pickups in the Music man have two individual pole pieces per sting while the Barts have two blades that go across the pickup.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've got that very same pickup (MM4.2) and can't say enough good things about it.

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Seems like a big thumbs up for the Nords. I've only seen pics of Nords with wooden covers, so what do they look like without ? Anyone know ?

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    http://www.nordstrandpickups.com

11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
  12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004