1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mod or sell Squier VM fretless jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrianToska, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I acquired a Squier Vintage modified fretless jazz bass not too long ago for the low low price of free. I tried my hardest to get into playing fretless and it's just not for me. So now I'm stuck with the dilemma of either buying a new fretted neck for it and modding it out, or selling/trading it. What do my fellow TBers have to say? I would love to hear your opinions.

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sell it and buy a fretted bass. Its a great bass, I have one, but IMO not worth the price of refretting or a new neck.

3. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'll buy it from you for twice, no.....thrice what you paid for it. Send me your Paypal address. :D

4. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Agreed, unless you had a fretted neck lying around or access to one cheap, you're better off selling and buying a fretted.

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Or a straight trade neck swap.

6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

If it's in good shape you can trade it in at Guitar Center. They gave me about $140 for mine.

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    so you got a bass for free but plan to sell it? Why not donate it to a highschool music program or something?

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im guessing he would need the proceeds to afford a new one, no?

9. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I have a fretted MIM Fender Jazz already so guess selling or trading would be the best option. I would donate it (I really enjoy helping younger aspiring musicians despite being 23 myself) but alas this starving musician would like to buy a new head because the one I have now isn't cutting it. The thought of getting a new neck and modding it in a few different ways did seem fun. Thanks for all of your responses!

10. Yup..

11. Yup. sell it.

12. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Well, off to the good ol' C-list I suppose.

13. I modded mine.

CIMG3939.

IMAG0363.

14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Mine came with a warped neck (used) so I bought a fretless SX neck for it for 60 bucks in the Accessories classifieds here. You can find cheap necks if you are a little patient. They sound fine to me.

15. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking about doing almost the same thing except with a maple fretboard.

16. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Hurst, tx
    Except for the neck with the small closed back tuners, I haven't been able to tell the difference between a VM neck and a Affinity, which I see cheap very often. My tricked AFN P has a sweet neck and near perfect fret work, but maybe I was just lucky.