1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modded Epinez!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swin, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    So i decided to muck around with my epi tbird last night at the office, i was getting pretty sick of the limited adjustments and inaccuracy of the stock bridge so i got rid of it and installed the Ibanez monorail 4's that are found on the prestige sr & btb's, then added ibby smooth tuners and speed dials (all gold) and gold fastners on the pickguard etc... getting the intonation and action is much easier on these MR4's than the gibbo ones, as well as giving it a bit more class!

tonight i'll finish the setup, neck relief and crown the frets etc etc and she'll look, sound and feel a lot different that she did as a plain jane epi goth model...

Attached Files:

2. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Classy! The gold contrasts nicely with the matte black, and I've always liked the look of monorail bridges. One of these days I really need to get an Epi Goth T-bird to fool around with - they look so cool.

3. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    yeah i'm not sure if i should muck around with the finish, all matte and clean does look good, but i was also thinking of ripping off the "road worn" style- sanding down certain edges etc...or even reducing it to all natural with a nice satin gloss might look good with the gold & white, too much choice!

4. Likin' it. Juuust enough bling there. :cool:

5. i agree with both prior posts. looks great.

only trouble is the footprint of the old bridge.. ew

another string and a maple FB and id be bird-struck :D

6. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    I know the old mounts are still there, but i'm shying away from making any mods i can't reverse should i ever have the need to, i'll just put some black plugs in them for now...

7. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    bump...
    So i gigged with the new additions on the weekend and damn, what a difference in tone!

The birdy sounds so much brighter with the MK bridge, it beats the hell out of my real Gibbo and for such a minimal cost in parts...i'm lovin it! :bassist: