1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding "Digitech bad monkey"!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by refbassist, May 13, 2011.

1. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
  2. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    It sounds good. I leave my bass knob at 2 O'clock and it's a lot more transparent.

3. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    Thanks for the reply,did you go with the 1uf or the 15uf for the C5?

4. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    .1uf and .15uf! That's alot smaller...gonna try it soon, when I find a way to open that sucker...screws aren't metric...

5. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    it says it would cut more mids with the .15uf not sure if it's gonna be an over kill or what!!

6. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    Haha...I finally managed to open the Bad Monkey. Screws look well...not so nice afterwards. So I'll replace them some time.
    I upped C11 (which is 220nF, not 22uF!) to roughly 1uF and noticed a big bass boost (maybe too much?). So definately the way to go here.
    I also toyed around with C5. Making it bigger removes some of the high mids and at the same time makes the whole thing seem less loud.
    I need to tweek the circuit and also decide whether or not to install switches.

Next thing I want to try after opening my Bad Monkey the next time is adding a small cap after the input to send some treble to ground. Makes it sound less harsh and "woolier" (some call it vintage ;)).

7. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    more bass, too much bass sounds good to me :), witch on to use with the C5? what do you recommend? and thanks for a very useful post!

8. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I modded mine with the suggested caps. Way better bass. The pedal still a bit too compressed for my taste.. any way to remedy that?

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Thought a revival might be in order.

A while back, I bought a Modded Monkey. It had the usual C5>.1uf and C11>1uf caps. It was just too dark to be useful, for my tastes.

What to do ?

I swapped the C11 cap for a .47uf. Deeper voice than stock, but not so dark as to become muddy. Sounds more present than the C11>1uf mod.

I don't think this one will be kicked off the board any time soon.

10. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I'm bumping this thread as I've done a few mods to my Bad Monkey since new.

I firstly changed C11 to a .47uF. However a little nag in my head told me that a 1uF will be better. The 1uF makes it too bassy in my book om a really muffled way. Think of Dre Beats headphones; they are supposedly bassy but infact they have a lot of mush in the low-mid frequencies that people mistake for bass.

I also played around with C5. Firstly I removed it entirely. This opened up the pedal a bit, and seemed to let a bit of clean signal through. However it also seemed to boost the gain a fair whack. I ended up sticking a 0.022 Mylar capacitor in there. This brings back a lot of the mids and makes it less transparent. I prefer it this way at the moment.